GSR200 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR200

I play a lot of grunge and old school rock, punk, ect. This bass doesn't really handle distortion well so keep that in mind for metal/ punk players. I've used it with my Peavey Microbass amp and my friend's Ashdown. It sounds pretty noisy due to the single coils with the tone or volumes all the way up so I usually leave them down and let the amp do the work. Using the bass boost at all really makes it buzz a lot too. The pickups sound pretty generic and don't have very much difference between the two. Overall it doesn't handle low tunings that well and is just in the middle of everything sound wise. Just because it has more pickups doesn't mean it sounds better than something with just one. Quality over quantity I guess.

As stated above, I play grunge and old school rock and punk. This works ok for playing clean but is not good for distortion really. It works fine for me and is fairly low maintenance as I haven't had to adjust the bridge or anything since I got it which I like. The neck is really thin and makes it fun to play (much better than Fender Precision). Overall this is one of the best choices for a beginner in my opinion and would make a good backup for anyone else.

The bass itself seems very well made and dependable. The finish has some scratches on back but seems really good otherwise. The strap knobs are alright but if I was gigging, I would have strap locks anyway. The only bad thing is the tuners, I probably would have to replace them to gig with this bass. I probably would gig w/o a backup if this had better tuners, but that's not really smart cause things happen at gigs you know.

I got it used so I don't know how the factory tuning was. The set up is good but it still buzzes on low tunings. The finish is good and doesn't have any flaws. The bridge is better than standard fenders IMO. The knobs all work well and are pretty sturdy. The tuners are pretty bad but will work well enough for a beginner. The frets were pretty well done, as was the (plastic) nut. This is definitely the highest point of the bass.

Indonesian made, made in 200?, 22 frets, agathis body, maple w/ rosewood fretboard neck, nice black finish, standard bridge (non/string through body), passive pickups with active eq, 2 volume 1 tone and 1 bass boost knob, P and J pickups, and non locking off brand tuners. Overall this has a lot more features than most beginner basses, and the quality is better than most too.