GSR200 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Ibanez: GSR200

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

They say this bass is good for rock/metal sorta styles, but you could use it for any genre really, it's just your average bass sound, nothing special, it's kind of boring actually. I use a Cube-30 bass amp by Roland and I use a Boss Gt-10b effects processor, both are great in my opinion but the don't really work well with my Ibanez. The bass just isn't good enough to get that full potential of the sound you want, a lot of people actually don't realize how important the guitar itself is, neither did I.

My conclusion: if you're a beginner don't hesitate to get this bass cause' it's good enough to get you started, it worked well for me, but if you're advanced don't bother. If it were stolen I'd buy a standard Fender jazz bass. Ibanez just isn't that good at bass guitars, they make great electric guitars and amps but they should leave the basses for Fender.

I wouldn't use this in a professional live performance because it just isn't good enough. You can give small performances though, I've done this a few times and no one seems to notice any flaw so it's good enough for regular folk. The finish though is great and its everlasting. The strap buttons are good too.

I gotta give it one thing though, this bass has a good feel and it's really comfortable. I can't say the same thing about the pick-ups, this is the worst part of the gsr.. There's a jazz-bridgepickup and a precisionpickup. They're both loose and make noise when you play nothing and when you do play, you can hear a crackling noise which is pretty annoying.. I'm sure this can get fixed but still, it's a good example for the quality this bass has.

First of all, this bass was made is Idonesia. It's got 22 frets which is pretty cool and it has a nice black finish. It has 2 pick-ups with a soundknob for both of them, a toneknob and PHAT II EQknob The Ibanez GSR 200 is great for beginners but guys...if you're just a bit more advanced spare yourself this one. I'll explain why.

Alex Vik
    Alex Vik wrote: Amazing bass for a first. Gets nice tones out of it depending on how you adjust the knobs. I once played it at church and no one noticed the difference between my bass and the regular bassist's bass (which is a Rickenbacker).
    Just a follow-up, I'm now the regular bassist, and people have noticed a difference, and they actually prefer my bass to his! I can't believe how many people don't like it. Mine's got a dead fret, so the action's terrible, and it's still a fine bass, and even with 8 month old strings, it still gives me all the sounds I want.
    99hhh99
    how did you fix it
    99hhh99
    if i get it fixed will it just screw up again i have the same issue
    99hhh99 wrote: how did you fix itTriviumfan54 wrote: the bridge sucks. On mine the action is so low and screwed it buzzes every damn time i play a note. Good for a few weeks, then it sucks ass.