GSR200 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR200

Purchased from: guitar-center

I play just about everything, and I wanna say this bass does it all. From metal, to funk, to jazz, its a great choice, you can slap it, finger pick it, or pluck it with a pick. Has a full sound.

This is a match for every genre and then some. If I lost it, I would buy it again. Its the best bass for its price. I love the sound and style of the bass, the only thing that bugs me is the sound on the neck pickup. I've played a Fender Mark Hoppus Sig a lot also, and this is my favorite of the two, I wish had more simplicity in the knobs, but other then that a solid bass.

The finnish is on there to stay. This thing isnt going to break, its a rock if I've ever seen one. Ide use it without a backup at a gig but just for the sake of being careful ide make sure to have a 9 volt battery.

The action on the guitar was fine except on the top string when I bought it. The neck pickup is great, and its all I need so I can't complain. This bass checks out as a good 4 string, when I got it it was as pretty as a picture. It was a good choice.

Mines is solid black, standard Ibanez GSR shape. 24 frets, has 2 volume knobs a tone knob and a BOOM knob to give you that extra punch. The bridge pickup produces a lot of noise so I generally have it muted and just use the neck pickup. It has active pickups but I haven't needed to change the battery in the year and a half I've had it. Made in Indonesia, the neck is bolt on and the strings aren't through body, but considering the sustain is still good.

andreww1996
    this is a good bass but i dont own one just have alot of hours on this. it has a ok sound the picks ups are decent but this thing is reible. my old school had this bass and me being loading crew i sall some things on a 2 hour trip in a bus it hade to marching quads fall on it (the quads broke)and it worked great the jazz bands bassist (crurently my bands guitarist) droped it if the chours rafters twice and its satand is broke soit fell out many times (my theacer hates me for that) and it works great still
    captainsnazz
    I got this bass for 90 (including a boss pedal and a bunch of other stuff!) about 3 years ago and I can confirm that it was and still is an awesome bass. The bridge is fine on mine. Nothing else to add, good sirs.
    FingerFud
    Doesn't this bass have four control knobs rather than 3? UG has put the wrong picture to represent this bass! Fuds.
    rhythmicshout
    just picked one of these up the other day, traded in a water damaged banjo my friend'd dad gave me. all in all its a pretty good bass. The action is perfect on it and is plays great. looking to put in some emg's to really get some killer tone out of it, but the stock passive are surprisingly good.(just prefer active) I play it through a crate bx160 with a 4x10 cab and it sounds killer!
    ed.ardzinski
    Bought my son an early version of this, maybe 10 years ago. He's moved on to a Sting Ray (I have a couple of Ricks and a J bass). Recently I saw it sitting all alone amongst his storage crap upstairs, and I felt like it needed some attention. In an experiment I took off the really old rounders on it, and slapped a set of nearly new Fender flats that I had cut for one of the Ricks years ago. Here's the impression from a guy who's played bass for over 30 years: When I bought this I thought it was a good value for a starter bass. I still feel the same. It's relatively light, and has a decent feel. The electronics are meh. I have the VVT model, and I find varying the PU blend to be the most effective way to alter the sound, although with the P pickup by itself the tone knob has a decent effect. We'll see how the neck handles the fairly high tension of these Fender 9050's. If it doesn't bow any more I'll probably leave it alone, but it might need a truss rod adjustment. For those who say this bass sucks and they wouldn't gig with it, get off your high horse. Yeah, it's not a Sting Ray or a Ricky 4001, but it's not garbage either. It might just find it's way into my rotation, with the flats it might be good for some of the old R&B stuff my band occasionally hits on.