GSR205 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR205

Purchased from: Guitar Superstore

I typically play a mixture of Rock-based music, including Punk, Metal, Classic and Nu-Metal. I find that the power of the bass itself is too much for a low wattage bass amp. When practising with a 10w Peavey Microbass I find it rattles the speaker and over time has distorted the sound greatly. For best results use an amp of atleast 100w, Laney, MesaBoogie and Ashdown are recommended brands if you want to get a good solid sound from this model. I also play a John Mayer/Jazz/Rock style using a Laney 100w amp (not sure on the actual model) and I find that amp gives a great selection of low end to compliment the bass' Phat II feature but also offers a great treble for players that play perhaps more slap-bass or more punchy-punk style which is well complimented by the Bass' tone peg.

As I previously mentioned I generally play Rock-based music and I think this bass is a perfect instrument to use for any music influenced by Rock. I have been playing bass for six years and I have used this model as my primary bass for five of those years. I also use a Peavey Milestone III and a Stagg GT Fusion, much cheaper Bass' and not as reliable as the GSR205 and I would definitely recommend spending the little bit extra it may cost to purchase one of these bass' as it really is the perfect bass for newer players. If it was lost or stolen I would definitely purchase the same model again, but I would also still purchase another bass to use as my primary model as I feel that a more expensive bass would be more useful and reliable to me, having played for over six years. But, for a new player I definitely recommend this bass.

I have used this bass for playing a number of live gigs for around four years, having owned it for about five and a half. It sounds just like it did when I first bought it and it has definitely withstood a long and extensive amount of playing. I would definitely say the reliability of the bass is a good feature and will definitely last a long time with extensive usage.

The action on the bass is amazing, it is particularly low and so is very easy to play and should be a definite purchase for first time players. No problems were present on the bass itself and so I was thoroughly pleased with it. I still use the pickups that the bass comes with as I find they give the bass the right sound for the type of music I enjoy playing and I can't see myself replacing them in the near future.

Plain black colour with a glossy finish on the main body. The fingerboard is made of Rosewood and the Neck itself is made with Maple wood. It has 22 Frets on the fingerboard but reaching the higher end frets (19-21) aren't too difficult to reach unless you have small hands or shorter fingers. The fingerboard also includes pearl dot inlays, making it look neat and attractive up close. It has two single-humbucker pickups, a DXN-5N for the neck and a DXN-5B for the bridge which helps give the bass a solid mid-range 'punchy' sound. It also uses a Phat II active boost which gives the bass an extra low-end enhancement giving it a booming sound for people that prefer that sound. It can also help boost the Bass' overall volume by up to 15db. It uses four knobs: Phat-EQ, Volume, Tone and Rear Pickup Volume. No extra accessories were included with the bass.

scor_pioau
    I bought my bass second hand for a song! It is the model without the extra knob for bass boost.I'd always wanted a 5 string bass but thought them too expensive generally. I love the weight and balance of this bass but hated the pickups from the first note. Swapped them out for some Seymour Duncan soapbars and now I have a great sounding bass for a very cheap outlay. Strung with GHS Brite Flats to get a thick smooth tone for rock, blues, jazz and 60's garage psychedelic.