GSR205 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR205

Made in 2014, in China or Japan.

• 22 Frets. Jumbo Frets, Rosewood fretboard.
  • Solid top/body
  • Gloss Finish (Orange)
  • Double Cutaway body
  • Standard Ibanez Cheap bridge
  • Passive Electronics
  • 4 Knobs: Neck and Bridge volume, Master Tone, "Boost"
  • Double Soapbar pickups. Standard 5 string Ibanez Soapbars
  • Non Locking tuners, Stock Ibanez
  • No accessories.
  • Maple Body, and neck.
  • Silver Hardware
  • Plastic Silver Knobs
  • Black Ibanez Stock Nut
It is something that you would expect for an Intro-level bass from Ibanez. There are some things that could be better, but it is decent for it's price.

It is decent for Jazz, Rock, Metal, etc. Overall it is pretty good sounding, though a little dull in some areas. I have used a combo amp (Acoustic B15), GK Fusion 550 Head, and DI reamped on this bass. All sound decent, though the reamp sounding the best. No effects. It is noisy when you turn the volume up on the bridge pickup and lower the neck pickup. I use a mix of the neck and bridge, it leaning more towards the neck pickup. It has a decent sound but it is a little dull as I stated earlier especially in the High Mid to Treble range. It can sound very muddy at times with the tone set to max, and on the bridge. Surprisingly I have been able to get many sounds though: Clean-ish, High-Gain (Crunchy), jazzy, a sound like a high low fretless.

I bought the guitar as a floor model but it seemed to be set up pretty well for all the strings except for the 5th string, which seemed a little lower than the rest and more floppy. The pickups were really low for their stock setup. There was no visual flaws as far as I know when I got it. There was a REALLY bad fret buzz though, especially when Slapping and popping the strings. I would say carry this in a hard case or a flight case. If you carry it in a soft case/gig bag, then be careful with the headstock, because it can go out of tune REALLY easily. I have tried the action at High and Low, and the low action causes a lot of buzz, while the high action is really hard to fret, especially with thicker gauge strings. The finish is pretty good but can scratch if you are rough on it. I'm not so sure on them all but you may have a really bad fret that is higher than the others and cause fret buzz, and it may in rare cases have a poorly setup neck causing it to be unplayable from the 9th fret and back.

This Bass can survive quite a beating, and the hardware (even though kinda crappy) would last for about a year or two (depending on how you treat it.) The stock strap buttons are decent, though they have very long screws and you would have to get a longer screw for straplocks. I could depend on it, though somehow it bent the neck to where I had to re-setup the whole bass from moving it in a car in a soft case. The finish is really good, and would last. It is definitely a good reliable instrument.

I play primarily tech/prog death metal, and it works pretty well although it could sound better. I have been playing Bass for 7 years now. I also own a 1992 Ibanez SR203, and a self-made fretless 7 string. I wished I known that it came in black and not orange... If it was stolen I would buy the 6-string version of this because I prefer 6 and 7 strings for my music, also maybe the non-GIO version of this, as this bass is kinda heavy in the neck. I love the most of it, but I hate the weight, stock electronics, and the Jumbo frets. It was sorta of a quick buy, not much of a research thing, as it was on sale and affordable. I wish it had smaller frets though as tapping, and slapping/popping is really hard on this.