GSR205FM review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSR205FM

I play mostly old metal, Like maiden and old Metallica. I also play Machine Head, Between The Buried And Me, Dream Theater, and Megadeth. The jazz pickups fit the bill nicely. They don't have as much growl as I want, but I will make do with what I have. I'm using a older model Trace Elliot GP7SM 200 watt combo with the Ibanez, and I must say it does sound great. The only bad thing I have noiced is that the basses tone knob, when you turn it, you get a skreechy sound.

This bass isn't the best match for my style of metal, but it works very well with the Trace Elliot and I love the bass to death. The only thing I could hate about it would be that the active EQ isn't really vesitile, it just make everything muddy. AND on a last note, I salute you Ibanez, for making a great product for the ghetto people like me.

It could make it in a Live situation, the strap buttons are solid and hav'nt failed me yet. It's a very nice bass, the finish is there to stay, it's pretty thick for the price that I paid for it. I could depend on this bass and it will be around for a good time, it's a Ibanez, they're mean't to pushed hard can stand getting a little bit beat up here and there.

I set it up myself after I restringed the bass and tuned it to D standard. Then I got the idea of tuning my thick B string to a C, so I can play in D standard and Drop C. It worked and it makes my bass very versitile. The bass had no flaws, well untill I stuck it in my friends fan. Ya, that wasn't good.

Made in '06. 5 string bass, 34 scale, 22 frets. Your standard Low end Ibanez with a touch of artsy flame maple top. 2 Jazz pups. Made of Mahogany, rather skinny though. Rosewood fingerboard, very well put together for a bolt on neck, 4 screw design. Has an active EQ, very nice, that is if you change the battery. 4 knobs, 2 volumes, one tone and the "phat EQ boost".