GSR250 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 10/07/2014 category: Bass Guitars
Ibanez: GSR250
The sounds of this bass are amazing for a GIO series bass! It suits all styles.
 8.7
 8.4
 2,657
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
GSR250 Reviewed by: m_kiwi, on october 07, 2014

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Made in China in 2012.
- Neck: bolt on maple
- Body: poplar
- Fretboard: rosewood w/ white dot inlay
- Frets: 24 medium
- Bridge: B10 bridge
- Neck pickup: std neck pu (active)
- Bridge pickup: std bridge pu (active)
- EQ: EQB-IIID 3-band eq (volume, pickup balancer, bass boost/cut, mid boost/cut, treble boost/cut)
- Hardware: Cosmo black

- Neck dimensions;
- Scale: 34"
- Width at nut: 41mm
- Width at last fret: 62mm
- Thickness at first fret: 21mm
- Thickness at 12 fret: 22mm
- Radius: 30mmR // 8

Sound: The sounds of this bass are amazing for a GIO series bass! I play everything from blues, to rock, to metal and a bit of funk/jazz and it suits all styles. With the right eq settings on the bass you can make it sound like everything from a P-bass to Jazz bass an everything in between. With the balancer right in the middle, or just below middle you can get a good booming rock sound but also get a good slap bass sound which is perfect for my style of playing. Recording wise it is great, no him from the pickups at all. Live it is just as good and has never let me down. I would strongly suggest this bass to anyone starting out or even for more professional players. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When properly setup the action and intonation is great! I set it up about 6 months ago and its still perfect. The machine heads do a surprisingly good job at keeping it in tune as well, I rarely ever have to tune it. The only thing I would change would be the body wood to get better sustain, but that would come with the next model up, the SR300 with agathis body. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this bass for just over a year now it's still going strong. It's been gigged with, recorded with, and even dropped and still nothing wrong with it. The finish allows for it to not even get a scratch on it which is perfect for a gigging musician. The strap buttons work great as they are, but I would suggest getting strap locks but that should be a given for anyone who gigs no matter what guitar you use. As said before the machine heads and bridge keep the bass in tune almost all the time so I'm happy with what it comes with. // 9

Overall Impression: I am extremely happy with this bass, but if it did go missing or break I would upgrade to the SR300 because it is better quality and in the same price range. Great for all kinds of music because of the eq options on the bass. I play through a Peavey TNT 115 and it's loud enough and boomy enough for jamming and gigging. Before buying this I was debating buying an Epiphone Thunderbird for the same price but chose this because it sounded better and played better. The neck isn't as chunky as the T-bird and it has 24 frets whereas the T-bird only has 20. Overall this is my favourite bass to play and will probably remain that way for a long time. // 9

Comments