GSRM20 Mikro Bass review by Ibanez

Ibanez: GSRM20 Mikro Bass

Purchased from: DV247

I bought this bass as a curiosity thinking it was possible a toy and thought the small size could be fun. Actually this bass IS NOT A TOY and has it place for anyone and can produce some excellent tone. As you might expect the P style pickup has some grunt and a J style single coil is what you would expect. Mixing the two can produce a wide range on funk, snap or bluesy tone, it's really quite remarkable. The blues and funk style I play really does work well, it pretty amazing considering the small size of this thing.

Overall impression is that this is very good value and ideal for younger people but is a serious instrument too, for anyone, I love mine and has been out to rehearsal a couple of times. Its small size and included gig-bag make it a truly portable bass, there's nothing to dislike about it. Overall is much better than expected and it is a perfectly valid, viable and fun bass, not a toy. Well done Ibanez for the concept, I know of no other bass like it.

Seems solid enough and extremely light weight, perfect for very young players or anyone. The finish looks as good as anything regardless of price and I don't expect anything to wrong anytime soon. I would certainly gig this bass and generally seems to be up to the usual Ibanez high standard, considering its low price.

Setup was not "too bad" out the box. The neck needed slight adjustment and intonation was way out. NOTE: I was not able to adjust intonation correctly on the A D & G string as the saddles would not screw in far enough, I replaced the adjuster screws for shorter ones and problem solved NOTE IBANEZ! Nut action was slightly high but nothing to worry about and after a few adjustments became a perfectly playable instrument. Fretboard finish was good and frets well finished with no sharp edges.

Picked this Mikro Bass up a few weeks ago and appears to be made in September 2011. This is a short scale bass, a mere 29" from nut to bridge and made in China. The quality of stuff from China these days is excellent and this bass is no exception considering the price. Has 22 medium frets and one P and one J style pickup, the J at bridge and P at neck end. One volume control for each pickup plus a tone control. The neck is rosewood with usual dot markings. The finish on my example is Candy Apple Red and is flawless. The bridge is a P Bass style but is more substantial with better saddles. The Gotoh style tuners are a bit cheep and sticky so I might replace these. The knobs are cheep and nasty and pushed on too far rubbing on the paintwork. Mine came with the gig bag included and the bass was already inside it in the box, I wasn't expecting that so a bonus, the bag is good quality too.

Randomrings
    This is good. I thought they stopped making these basses because I haven't seen much of them around since I bought mine a few years ago. Glad to see that someone else addresses this as a real instrument. All my friends make fun of how small it is until they play it for themselves
    patticake
    the mikro has a shorter scale than the bronco, and imo sounds better than the bronco.