SR100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR100

This guitar puts out a fairly decent sound for what it is. Puts out a bit of electrical hum that you'd only hear if you turned your amp up fairly loud. The tone shaper on this guitar can really change the sound. With tone all the way up, you've got your nice punchy slap/pop sound, or a sort of metallic chunky bass sound. With the tone all the way down it is far more mellow, like 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' mellow. I play through a Warwick Blue Cab 60 bass amp.

I play mainly metal and progessive rock, and the guitar seems to keep up. That said, I would recommend a guitar with J&P style pickups if you're going to play metal, to get that grunge sound more easily. I've been playing for roughly 1.5 years, and the only bass I had before this was a chunky ass Torch Vintage bass guitar. If it was stolen, I would probably just leave it, and get myself a Yamaha RBX374. There's nothing really amazing about this guitar, just decent for beginners or if you're on a low budget.

Physically, this guitar will withstand playing live, although I'm not sure about the stock input jack, it seems to come loose easily, and the wires sort of rip off the jack too. Other than that it seems fairly solid. I wouldn't use it Live without some straplocks, but the finish gets dirty very easily, and is very noticeable on the black model.

The action was pretty crap when I bought, I ended up paying to get it re-adjusted after my own failed attempts too. The pickups are slightly angled, if that count's for adjusting, the are angled so the parts closer to the D and A are high than the parts closer to E and G. All seems good with it, apart from the input jack, which needed replacing.

Not sure when this guitar was made, I think it was around 2001-2002, and I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan since that's where Ibanez is. Has 22 medium frets, thin neck 34" scale. Not sure on the woods used, most likely something cheap. Has a gloss finish. Body style is classed as 'nato' on the Ibanez website, but it's basically the same as your typical Fender squire bass. Standard B10 bridge, strings end at the bridge, no stringing through. It has passive electronics, with one volume and one tone adjuster. Pickups are P style, tuners don't seem to be branded, might be Ibanez's own tuners. I also received a gig-bag with this guitar.

ToesKa
    and I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan since that's where Ibanez is.
    Mr_Pleb_Mgoo
    Well the guitar is made in china. I couldnt see the sticker when I was looking before because of how the strap was when I was checking, (down near the base of neck-body join).
    limefan913
    ToesKa wrote: and I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan since that's where Ibanez is. yeah propably, every fender is made in america to? no of course it isnt made in japan, only prestiges are made there... prob indonesia or korea, it should be on the very top of you headstock
    A Prestige series guitar or bass is worth the money. I've got a JS1200, and its constructed perfectly. Supposedly hand made by Team J Craft.
    david07003
    Im a regular gigging bassist and I feel that a bass is what you make of it. Ive played so many basses live that I really dont care what they sound like because I will make them sound the way that I want. This bass is a nice bass with a decent sound for its price class. It you were to upgrade it with better hardware and pickups, it may become the ax that you really wanted.
    the_random_hero
    Agathis isn't a bad tonewood as such, it's just generally used in low quality guitars (be thinking BC Rich here) and that's given it a bad name. The interesting thing is that it's advertised as being made of nato (which isn't the body style BTW), but says agathis in the blurbey thing. I'm thinking that the reviewer doesn't have a lot of experience with different basses...
    bootyking69
    i like reading these reviews there not even helpful there mostly written by beginners and its funny to me that they dont know what there talking about!!
    The McManus
    Yeah it was probably made in China or Indonesia... Only high end Ibanezs are made in Japan... And how could you buy something from "Guitar World", last I checked they were a magazine... and not a retailer? I mean I may be confused and thinking of the wrong 'Guitar World' but just checking
    Mr_Pleb_Mgoo
    Guitar World is a Guitar Shop in Cannington, a suburb in Perth, Western Australia.
    Aadieu
    Of the SR-series, only high-end stuff like the SR885 was made in Japan. And only in the 90s. The China and Indonesia stuff just doesn't measure up. And Agathis is basically plywood.