SR250 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR250

I can get any kind of sound out of this thing, IT'S GREAT! I love the fact that there is an eq and a master volume, but I might try switching out the blender knob for just a 3-way switch (personal preference). I always play on either both, all neck, or all bridge so the knob is just kind of annoying for me, but it does help achieve more tones. Bridge pickup is very jazz bass-y, and the middle is much more round, similar to a Precision bass, but they are both HUMBUCKING pickups. This baby sounds great. I had it plugged into my 2x15 and it just roared. Personally, love he sound, but I may upgrade the pickups at some point. I'd just like to really put some serious parts into this thing. I love it.

Overall, very impressed with this bass for the price. Feels good, plays great, and sounds great. Can't really complain except for the pickups. And again, they are quite good for stock pickups, they really do sound pretty good, I just want DiMarzios... And I just personally like a switch to select my pickups, the knob is cool and a good idea, but I don't use it for its intended purpose so might as well change it to what I like.

Seems pretty solid, I've only had it a day now, but I have other Ibanez products, and they've lasted just fine. I expect this one to be the same. I'd never gig without a backup, but this is my new main bass. The finish has a good thick layer on it, it doesn't feel cheap or as if it would get scratched easily. Strap buttons were good, it was hard to get my strap on it. Which is a good sign, but I always go for the strap locks.

The setup was just fine. A good, low action without any buzzing. Pickups were a good height, everything was in order and just fine. All the knows worked properly, there was life in the battery, tuners are solid, etc etc etc.

I'm going to start this by saying that nothing is ever a 10. 10 means perfect, and there is never a perfect instrument. That being said, this is the 4-string version (I believe Ibanez also makes 5, and 6-string versions as well). I have it in Starlight Blue (sort of a sparkly blue, but sweet looking). Mahogany body, 3 piece maple neck (bolt on), 24 medium frets, rosewood fretboard, active CAP EXF-N2 pickups, and black hardware. 1 master volume, 1 pickup blender, 3-band active eq (bass, middle, treble). The pickups are active humbuckers. The bass is pretty light, but it sustains forever which is nice. It feels great to play; a nice thin neck. Its super fast.

MaggaraMarine
    Why are everybody always upgrading the pickups. You said that you like the sound so why upgrade pickups? And are stock pickups always bad? My Charvel had Dimarzios as stock pickups so are they bad?
    DoubleBassCrash
    Stock Pups are changed because a different sound is sought, it's not always because they're bad, some people just require a different flavor. Different strokes for different folks. I definitely wouldn't say your stock DiMarzio pups are bad, but some guitars certainly have better stock pups than others. You know, I bought a pair of D Activators for my ERG but ended up keeping the stock EMGs in it after all because I liked the sound, I was really surprised, my only gripe is that it requires a 9-volt and if I forget to unplug it... well, you know - but I'll deal with it.
    MaggaraMarine
    I know but so many "noob" reviews tell that they want to change their pickups even though they don't even know what sound they are after and buy pickups because they say EMG/Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio, whatever on it. And everybody seems to expect that the stock pickups are bad. "They're just stock pickups so they must be bad" etc. If you know what sound you are after, then a pickup upgrade is what you want. But many times it's just fine tuning your sound and it should be done after you are almost happy with your sound and your amp is good enough. A new amp will have much more effect on your sound than a pickup upgrade. Though if you have single coils and want to play metal, then changing them to humbuckers will give you more metal sound than buying a new amp.
    DoubleBassCrash
    If you read meshow31's review you'd see he said he loves the sound of his current pups, but down the road he may change them because he wants to have some more expensive stuff loaded on the bass. & Lol, run an Strat with single coils through an ashdown, it's metal as ****. 9 out of 10 times the general consensus is that "entry level" instruments have cheaper quality electronics, something at this price range rings true to that consensus, the body is everything the player wants and they like their current sound, but they see they can take this good instrument and make it better with some higher quality electronics. Ibanez still makes a bangin' instruments, even low budget, but their electronics aren't what they used to be.
    meshow31
    yeah i'm just not 100% happy with the bridge pickup. I love the sound i can get out of the neck, but the bridge is just a little too thin for my ears. Its a great playing bass and it sounds good, just not exactly what i want. And I only say that i'm looking for dimarzios but they dont make a humbucking 4-string bass pick up so i might have to go with emg, but if i cant find anything that sounds better, then I'm just going to leave it how it is.
    izzy.valencia.9
    I just got this bass bass in 9/25/2013 and let me tell you I would not change a thing this babe plays smooth and all the tones I get kick. with that said I put this thing to the test and I got NO complaints at all
    izzy.valencia.9