SR300DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR300DX

I can get a ton of sounds from this thanks to the DXP, DXJ pickups, and the PHAT bass boost. It's pretty good with metal. But it's great with pop/slap grooves and jazz grooves. Great indie stuff too, I use my fingers most of the time It gets great harmonic tones too if you use the DXJ pickup along with turning the treble and bass PHAT boost all the way up. I personally run it through a Behringer or an Ampeg. It's got great variety in tone.

I play some metal, some jazz, but mostly slap and indie. This suits my style perfectly. I've been playing bass for 5 months, but I've been playing guitar for 3 years. I've compared this to other basses namely the Musicman Stingray. This bass can hold its own against the Stingray. If this bass were stolen or busted beyond repair, I'd probably save up and buy a new bass, because I bought this as a beginner's bass. I love the finish, PHAT boost, and the great variety of tones you can get from it. Only thing I wish it had was a fretless neck, but thats right now and I'd only want a fretless for some jazz lines like Jaco Pastorius. Some humbucker pickups like the ones on the Stingray would be cool for Slapping but thats just me.

I'm pretty sure this guitar will withstand live playing. I've dropped this bass quite a few times and it still keeps on going without any problems, except getting knocked outta tune, but that's if it lands on the headstock hard.

The action was great, but it did give me some buzz at the 14th and lower frets. The finish was awesome it's got a candy apple red finish, which is really sparkly and flashy. The controls were spot on. You can reach the 24th fret effortlessly, but as I said the fret buzz at the 14th and higher frets (if the strings are attacked a bit hard). And the strings were a bit oxidized, but thats nothing a new string change can't fix. But for the fret buzz I'd give this bass an 8 in this category.