SR300PW review by Ibanez

Price paid: € 295

Purchased from: Thomann

• It was made in Indonesia, but I don't know the year
  • There are 24 medium frets on the neck scale
  • The top is solid wood but not as heavy as others
  • The bass has got a Mahogany body and a 5-piece Maple/Rosewood SR4 neck with a rosewood fingerboard that is easy carry around
  • The bridge is an Accu-Bast B120
  • The hardware is cosmo black
  • There are two Ibanez EXF-N2 pickups that you can switch between
  • Stylesweeper 3-band EQ EQB-IIID
  • The bass is pearl white with pearl dot inlays
  • There was a gig bag included when we bought it at Thomann so it was easy to bring along and we didn't need to buy an extra one, just the cables
  • I have no idea what is meant with tuners so I can't tell the brand either, but if it's what I think it is there wasn't a tuner included... if then a non-locking.

I don't really have one music style but many and I've got no problems with any style no matter what song I play it fits good and is played softly. I mostly just use the Bass V-Amp from Behringer to use some effects with it and mix the sound with music I'm playing to which is very useful because I always try to play to the original songs as soon as possible. Without any effects it's a rich, bright, soft sound with which you can play walking lines very smoothly and you need a lot of aggression to get a harsh tone out of it if everything fits. I mostly use the effects Nu-Metal Gain, Thunderbird, Rock Classic, Brit Hi Gain, British Classic or none at all because I just need them if I'm playing Metal or Rock and prefer to do as much as possible with the original sound of the bass.

The set-up at the V-Amp was pretty easy to comprehend and done in five minutes though we needed to buy some extra cabled to use the headphones and the aux in because we had the wrong ones at home. The pickups were adjusted fine and didn't need to be changed in any way. The top and the bridge were properly worked out and have no visible flaws. The bass didn't contain any visible flaws found, the bracing was good, the fretwire properly filed, the finish was fine, the wood has good quality, the hardware isn't rusted or oxidised, the tuning pegs were a bit solid, the nut was properly cut, the saddle properly fit and the pickup selector wasn't noisy or anything, the controls were fine, but the strap buttons were loose and still need to be tightened from time to time.

Live playing long concerts is no problem and I've already tested it sometimes as did a friend of mine - both without any problematic circumstances. The hardware seems to last pretty good and long, but I don't know how long the battery runs. The strap buttons need to be adjusted from time to time because they get loose.  I used it on a gig without a backup though I would prefer to have one just in case because I don't own the bass that long and am not sure if it'll still last in some years or when the battery runs low because there's nothing to notice that early and to be ready for that. So for every case I always got an extra battery with me. Nothing wears off till now and everything still looks good although I play very often and long.

I play a lot of styles and the bass combined with the V-Amp matches with everything. I play nearly a year now. Other gear: Bass V-Amp from Behringer. Not really because everything is totally fine and I know nothing I'd need now. I would probably the same bass, but maybe in a different color. I love that it's easier than most Fender or Squire basses and that you can play with easily for hours without hurting even if you're a beginner. I hate that I have to adjust the strap buttons aren't solid enough. I compared it to the Fender and the Squire of my father, but took this one because it's not as heavy and softer in the sound.