SR400 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR400

Simply put, it works. I play jazz bass, and Ibanez is generally considered a rock company, but this bass suits me fine. I've bought other basses that I thought would fit my style better, but they never really make the cut. I always come back to this one. I think I've gotten used to the tone, with it being my first and all. My sound rating is for the rock sound. I'd give it a 6 for jazziness.

Loved this bass to death. It's not a good starter, but if you're pretty skilled this bass can really maximize your potential. It's made for rock, though, and not the best slapper in the world, so if you want to maximie its potential, I'd suggest buying it for speedy metal riffs. The slap is weak. Don't buy this for jazz. I can't emphasize that enough.

I usually treat my basses very, very carefully, so this thing is still in great condition. The finish is really thick, which is pretty useful. If the finish wasn't as think as it is, mine would have all kinds of nicks and scratches on it, but luckily I was able to buff them out (since they were only on the finish, after all). The strap buttons are your typical strap buttons. They stay put pretty well. The only problem I've had with the hardware is the battery running out, and that's supposed to happen. Oh, and a knob fell off, but that was easily fixed with one of those L-shaped wrenches.

I bought the guitar used, so I can't complain. It was in pretty good condition when I got it, though, so, yeah. I guessed that it had been used about twice, then pawned, because it still had a lot of the plastic wrap on it from the dealer. It even still had the sticker on the back with the name of the person Who constructed it.

This bass has a very impressive rock feel. Ibanez generally produces rock instruments, not jazz (which is the genre I play), but this bass has still served me very, very well. I've got the five-string version (yeah, they make those) and it's awesome. It was my first bass, and I really lucked out. This is an amazing instrument. Also, it's got a wide range of control on the bass itself. Five knobs total: the bass, middle, treble, volume, and pickup select. The knobs also have the ever-useful "neutral click" thing on them, which makes it easy to level out without having to play around with it and find it yourself. I just can't express how much I love having the tone knob split into three different knobs.

skateswitch
    i just got one of these of ebay for cheap, does anyone have an idea on what years they had the passive pickups and only has there knobs, i think its a tone, volume and im not sure about the other one since there is only 3, but it is a sr400, printed on the neck along with serial number