SR405QM Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 09/09/2011 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ibanez: SR405QM
 8.7
 8.8
 8.5
 2,526
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
SR405QM Reviewed by: american eulogy, on september 09, 2011

Features: The bass has a 5-piece maple/rosewood neck with 24 frets and is an 09' made model. The body is mahogany, with a quilted maple top, in charcoal brown burst, and is a typical Ibanez body shape, but considerably thinned at the edges, which makes it a lot easier for me to play. Its got active elctronics, and has Bass Boost/Cut, Treble Boost/Cut, Master Volume, Pickup Balancer, and a Style Selector knob, which you can blend slap and finger styles together for some really good tones. The pickups are stock Ibanez CAP-EXF N-2 humbuckers which sound really good (even compared to the Bartolini MK1s on the SR505 that I tried before buying the 405). // 9

Sound: This bass sounds equally good played with a pick or fingers, although I mostly play with a pick. Right now I'm playing it through my Ampeg BA-115 and it sounds crisp and clean. The only time its noisy at all is when the treble is turned ALL the way up, but thats not really a suprise. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was actually set up really well by the factory, and the only thing I had to do was straighten the truss rod by about a half turn. The action couldnt have been better, although the pickups were really high. There werent any flaws in it at all, besides it missing a knob which we had replaced, but it was a floor model so I got $25 off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The knobs are on the body solidly, and the strap buttons are very secure. I can definitely depend on this bass and I'd definitely use it at a gig without a backup. The finish seems really durable and looks really good with the quilted top. I've only had this bass for about 2 weeks, but it really does seem built to last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, and its a pretty good match. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years and I've got an Ibanez GSR200, and an Ampeg BA-115. If it were stolen, I'd definitely get another. Its just great all around. The only thing that could make it better would be EMG-HZs. // 9

Comments