SR500 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR500

Its sound is completely based upon what style you want to play. It's definitely more of a rock bass, but I've played with the settings enough to be able to get it more jazz or metal. It's always very clear with every note, especially with elixirs on it, and it stays in tune pretty well. No complaints at all.

I primarily play rock (RHCP, Incubus, etc), and it more than gets the job done. With the different tone settings at my disposal, I can mimic most sounds and give songs a very personalized feel. I've been playing for about 2.5 years now, and this is my second bass, which I got after I had been playing for 2 years. What I liked most was it's perfect balance, sleek feel, and slender style. It's lighter in weight and feels very comfortable to play, especially since the next isn't as wide as other basses. My first bass was an Ibanez Geo, which was an excellent beginner's bass, and I just liked the feel of Ibanez. I highly recommend this bass for any intermediate/semi-expert player. I can't imagine needing another bass for quite a long time.

It seems like a very durable bass ever since I bought it, which was 4 months ago. I take excellent care of it, and have played a couple shows with it too. I feel like the 9v battery dies a little quickly, but I think 9vs are just short lived as is.

I was fortunate enough to get a Brand New version of this bass, before it had been on the shelf long enough to get touched by endless people. The action came a little high, but I had a worker lower it before I purchased it. There weren't any dents, dings, scratches, etc at all. The finish is different, it has a slight grainy feel to it, which I personally like.

pjs87
    I bought one, only to have the neck pickup crap out on me within 2 days. I brought i tback to the store, and they mailed me a 2nd bass (the first was new in box as well) and this has some sort of wiring problem that causes the volume to spike in and out, to what sounds like full volume even when the vol knob is turned all the way down. Originally I was very excited about this bass and now having 2nd (3rd) thoughts.
    lcblvr13
    Virage
    I played at a shop and left a deposite. Can't wait till i get it. Such a lovely instrument to play and look at.
    Tooltillidie
    This is my bass through and through...
    lcblvr13 wrote: I have played this bass before. It is great for jazz and slap. It also sounds good with a low hard rock or metal.
    ummm great for jazz and slap? this bass is best for metal and low end sounds. But anyways this bass is amazing has an awesome sound, great EQ, and the neck is so fast and comfortable.
    SteveHeyn
    I have this bass for 4 months now...it's versatile, I had the action and intonation set up for free by the bass player of the store were I bought it, and it works out for me. I can't play slap yet so no comments on slapping. About fingertip play I can tell you: it sounds too good. Even trough a Line6 LD15 i has very good tone! The clean,metal and rock presets on de amp combines great with this bass. If you want a badass metal bass I would say go for the SRX700series they have a 2band eq and passive pickups (i believe) where this SR500 has active bartolini's and a 3 band EQ. The SRX had prescooped midrange and lets you control the bass for a lot of oomph and the treble to adjust your percussive sound. Where this SR lets you control the full soundrange more precisely. In my opinion this SR500 is a superb allround bass where the SRX lets you jump on stage and jam away more quickly. So tooltillidie, you might be right but the SRX would be an even better choise for metal. Anyways, the finish is great nice wood feeling, the 5pc neck is very stable and it's SOOO "IBANEZ" fast, thin, smooth... very good. And were not even talking about the prestige series. It balances very well, I've had different basses in my hands at the shop and this one has a rather thin body, wich makes it more lightweight of course. You might want to know: it has a 24-FRET neck bolted on the body where as the SRX has a 24fret necktrough construction. I would also keep the elixir strings, it comes standard with them (in europe at least) and man these strings are so good...they just don't wear off it seems. I would give this bass a 9.5/10 given the fact it's very allround, has beautiful design, very stable, accurate tuning, high quality wood, bartolini pickups... impressive bass at a reasonable price.
    seljer
    The finish, however nice it may feel, really is soft. I've worn patches into it from fingerstyle playing! (albiet I pluck rather vigorously). Otherwise, I don't think you could get more features and quality for the price. It sounds and plays great, the two pickups and EQ cover most of the sounds you'd need (the only thing I can't get it to do is the obvious rickenbacker tone and p-bass with flatwounds tone). Its miles ahead of the SR300, much better detail on the fretwork and the electronics are silent as the grave when you're not playing (can't say that about the 300).