SR505 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR505

I mainly became interested in this bass after seeing many metal bassists use the SR series, and many others using other basses in the Ibanez collection. You coulnt ask for anything more from a metal bass. Upon further research, I found this bass to be the most reliable/versatile bass from Ibanez. Most of Ibanez's sig models have the SR body! I run this mad-machine through a Peavey practice amp through most the week, and when I play my bi-weekly gig with the band, I run it through a 90's model 1x15 cabinet with a Peavey tour series 450 and it sounds like a dream. Not at all noisy if you have it hanging on your torso. But the best thing of all, is the variety this bass has! You can dial in any tone with just the 3-way EQ and pickup blender. This bass is used by Pros in Blues, Jazz, Metal, Rock, etc...

All in all, I PLAY only metal and prog, and this is the perfect match for any level metal/prog bassist. I have been playing bass for 3 years, 2 of those 3 years was spent researching for my perfect bass and learning everything I could about bass electronics. I would buy this bass all over again if need be. I clocked in about 5-6 hours of in store side-by-side comparing and this bass shined above all others! The only thing I wish were different about it, would be a possible mono-rail bridge, it wouldn't Hurt.

The dudes in Indonesia did really well assembling this bass. I have yet to have a problem with the strap buttons coming off or malfunctioning. It has withstood 4 Live performances, each in excess of 90 minutes on and off the stage. The mahogany finish so so beautiful. It grows on me because you can't really smudge it and the oils from my hand make it glisten.

Right out of Guitar Center, this bass was set-up for a god. The action was nice and low, the strings properly adjusted over the pickups and the strings strung perfectly on the head stock. Plastic was still on the pick-ups when I purchased it. It was quite dusty around the neck pickup and I had to clean it out, but nothing that would have changed my mind on buying such a complete bass.

I purchased my Ibanez SR505 in December of 2008. The serial number says that it was constructed in October of 2008 in Indonesia, so it is a 2008 model. This bass can get it's player any tone with the 3 band EQ, pick-up blender, and master volume. It comes standard with Bartolini MK-1 bridge and neck active humbucking Pickups. Gotoh tuners round off the headstock and on down the standard SR505 you have centered Abalone inlays. 24 medium frets makes on a 5 piece Jatoba/bubinga neck make this bass complete! A new feature is the 9-v battery compartment: an easy flick of the wrist allows for easy access, no more screw drivers! This bass has a mahogany finish.

Stian Henrixen
    I got this bass, and i love it but after about 3 months the electronics got screwed. i sendt it to be repaired, and i got it fixed in less than two days but the guy that repaired it said that i needed some sort of spray to use on the electronics now and then. just so you know.
    Phantomsword
    The neck is Jatoba/Bubinga. Where did you get Ebony from? They don't even look similar.
    filthylittleboy
    Table Salt wrote: His was used so the person before him must have changed the pickups. IF you look for the new ones they've got Bartolini Mk1's and 5 knobs; 3-Band EQ, Pickup Balancer between Neck and BRidge pup, and a Master Volume knob. Also, isn't the neck Bubinga wood? This is a fantastic bass though, I love mine and I haven't even changed any of the electronics yet.
    Jatoba/Bubinga 5 piece neck