SR505 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR505

Price paid: € 530

Purchased from: Mitros Music, Serbia

I mostly play funky stuff and varieties of it. It fits perfect! Also, when I practice, I play some metal and classic r'n'r. Fits perfect also! I use Ashton BA15 amp which is not very good but this guitar simply sounds great. Of course, it sounds a lot better on a better amp and also if you plug it into a PC and play through speakers. Basically, you don't even need an amp since you have an EQ on guitar, which pretty much covers important stuff. You can plug it directly into a mixer on a gig and not loose much which I did once. It's never noisy if amp settings are flat (again, you have EQ on guitar). But if you max mid on both guitar and amp, you will be able to hear a lot of stuff you don't want to, but you don't even want to touch an amp EQ with this bass in your hands - there's no need. You can get ANY, I really mean ANY sound you want. Why? EQ settings combinations, there are a lot of them + mid booster/cutter switch which doubles the number of combinations + balance between pickups which X times multiplies the number + position of your right hand and place where you pluck the strings (near neck, near bridge, between) + the way you play, agressive or not. You can easily get a Fender Jazz Bass sound, or Musicman's humbucking sound. Whatever you want! I would give 15 on this section.

+ What style of music do you play? Is this a good match? Already said. + How long have you been playing? What other gear do you own? 3 Years, just an mentioned amp. + Is there something you wish you had asked before buying this product? Nope. + If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Definitely! It's a best buy for this money! + What do you love about it? What do you hate? What is your favorite feature? Love everything except the body finish. + Did you compare it to other products? Which ones? Why did you choose this one? I've compared it to Mexican Fender Jazz Bass and they can't be compared in my opinion. Fender is more expensive and less versatile. Compared it to Cort B5 and GB75, first one is very similar but a lot more uncomfortable and less EQ options. GB75 is not worth mentioning. Also I've compared it to some Spector which is a little bit more expensive and sound and pleasure are nothing compared to this one. + Anything you wish it had? Actually nothing. :) To summarise, THIS IS THE BEST BUY IN PRICE RANGE BETWEEN 0 AND 700.

I've played live several times and there were no problems. Only backup you will need is a 9V battery. The one I got with guitar still works after 2 months. Strap buttons are as they should be. I've been writing in last section about finish so I won't do it again. :)

Straight neck, enough low strings. Very good. Pickups were little oblique and one was little higher than the other but after 5 min of work, it was fine. Not a big deal to me. Body finish is not so good, it easily get scratched and indented if you doesn't care. I'm not very good at slap and pop, and from popping in the place where your index finger should be, there are a lot of little scratches from unarticulated fingers. :) Body finish really should be better. 9 Because of body finish.

Made in Indonesia, dunno the year. 34" scale, 24 medium (I guess medium) frets, rosewood fingerboard, jatoba/bubinga neck. Neck is so solid that you have a feeling it won't break even if you try. It's very slim and comfortable even for a 4 string bass. Body is made of brown mahogany, looks nice, it's very slim and not heavy. It has active electronic with no active/passive switch. Controls are amazing. You have bass, mid, treble, mid boost switch as I call it, pickup balance and master volume. Pickups are great, they give wide variety of sounds. I got it with cable and dunno the word, the pentagon like thing. Also Elixir strings which are great!