SR506 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR506

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

This instrument can produce anything from a mellow growl to a high zing. It suits whatever it needs to. I tend to get a favorable tone by keeping all EQ flat and roll back the treble. I also like a little more signal through the neck pickup for a fat, mellow sound. Nothing is noisy except when you crank the treble up a good amount. I would prefer to have a deeper and richer sounding instrument. The wood choices create a snappier sound. I may need to invest in some half-round strings to compensate. The low B is still pretty tight and defined for a 34" scale. Harmonics ring pretty well.

I play jazz, progressive rock, metal, rock, pop, blues and more. It works well with simple, obvious adjustments. I have been playing for six years. I own an Ampeg B2-RE bass head, Carvin BRX10.4 Neo bass speaker cabinet, dbx 160a compressor, and a Peavey TKO 115. I would try something else or save up for another bass if it was stolen. I really wish this bass came with a monorail bridge. When I play the low B decently hard, it vibrates the other strings.

It absolutely will withstand the rigors of playing live. The hardware has never been touched. The strap buttons are decently small, but it should hold up fine. I do depend on it and I would gig without a backup. The brown mahogany finish is beautiful and has lasted.

Its intonation was a little off, it was not tuned(this is because it can be damaged being at full tension during shipping). The action was higher than I wanted it; simple fix. The pickups were both flat and at an appropriate height, but I adjusted that as well. Everything looked and worked as it should. Everything was tight and snug. Overall, very good job. You simply can not guess how the customer would want their action, I did not expect them to get it right.

The Ibanez SR506 is a 34" scale bass guitar made in Korea, 24 medium frets (2 octaves), solid top. Mahogany body and a 5 piece laminated bubinga/wenge bolt on neck. Natural finish. Standard single piece fast loading bridge. Bartolini MK1 on-board preamp with 3 band semi-parametric equalizer. Volume, 3 band tone, and pickup blender controls. Two Bartolini MK1-6 soap bar pickups. Non locking tuners, but very dependable. I rarely need to tune after storing it in its case.

filthylittleboy
    You'll be hard pressed to find something bad to say about ibanez sound gear basses! I'm personally bored of bass, but that's because no one wants a band around where i live, so i just play guitar by myself :p good buy man!
    Metallicaloveu
    Personally I've never found a use for a 5 string let alone a 6! But I've played a couple of Ibanez basses and really like them.
    mhylands
    I was actually planning on buying the SR505 before I bought my BTB575. Sound Gear basses are definitely great quality for the price.
    b4ssfr34k
    I've played this bass, too. I almost like it more than my BTB556! I really love how tight the B is for only a 34" scale. And, I would really like the mono rail bridge, too. that'd come in real handy.