SR600 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SR600

Purchased from: Milonga Music

I got this bass guitar in the year 2012 from Milonga Music, a store in France which is now closed. It was made in Indonesia. It looks like the Cort Artisan B4, and it has the same pickups and tuners as it. It has 24 frets, which is useful for playing solos. You have a bass, mid, treble, volume and tone nob on it, as well as a mid range 2 way switch. It is active, so you need to get a battery for it if the one you get with the bass runs out. No cables or straps are included. It has a 2+2 string headstock. The body is ash.

I use this bass with my Hartke A35, which makes it sound very nice. You can play a variety of different genres from metal to funk. I would use this bass for reggae or funk if I had to chose from a variety of different basses, but my style of play is rock or alternative. When it is not plugged in, it is quite loud. If you play very hard on the strings it sounds quite bad since the strings vibrate against the neck. It is easy to slide. the sound is quite bright, but surprisingly it sounds more muddy at the high end.

The guitar played very well when I first got it, but it took me a while to find out what the switch was for, and I don't think it works very well. I didn't change the strings for a while, and the pickups seemed fine apart from that they seem a bit not correctly in place. A day or 2 after I bought it I found a small black mark on the body, but it wasn't too noticeable. The strings were placed on the guitar very well. The guitar does not have a specific color, as it only has a coat of wood polish.

The guitar sounds good live, and it seems like it would last. I have had no problems with sound or straps, but I am afraid that one day when I am performing the battery will run out, so keep an extra in your pocket if you ever perform with this. Sometimes when I practice or when I carry it the strap comes off at one end, but it doesn't happen too much. The strings did not break for a year, but then I changed them. I am sure that the strings I have put on it will last for a very long time. The holes at the bridge for the strings seem a bit too big.

I usually play rock, and as my first bass, this has impressed me. I don't think I had much experience with good guitars back then, but now I realize that I made a good choice. If it was stolen, I would probably buy it again because it's not too pricey and it's really good. My favorite feature is the fact that it has a mid-range switch. I don't like the fact that it doesn't do so much though. I don't like that the cable input is inside the body, not at the side, because like this I cannot use a battery micro amp.