SR905 Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/06/2006 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ibanez: SR905
The SR905 is amazingly affordable but is loaded with must-have features for the pro-player: Bartolini MK1 pickups, the Bartolini MK1 3-Band EQ, Accu-Cast B20 bridge and an arched topped body of figured maple fitted with a 5pc maple/bubinga thru-body neck.
 8.3
 6.6
 2,702
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
SR905 Reviewed by: Lespaulpunk, on january 06, 2006

Features: This is a brand new 2005 Ibanez SR905, top of the line 5 string before prestige series. 24 Fret, with abalone oval inlays. 35 inch scale. and a 12 inch radius neck. This is a sneck thru solid body with flamed maple wings and a maple/bubinga/maple/bubinga/maple neck, and a ebony fretboard. It has the Charcoal Brown Flat translucent color. It has a sound gear body shape, and a curved body, not carved curved. I think the steamed the wood and bent the bodu because the wood looks uniform so I don't think the carved the curve. Active Bartolini pickups, the sound is to die for, 3 knob EQ, this lets you get any sound you want out of it. All hardware is Ibanez with black-chrome, this looks so sweet, unfortunately nothing came wiht the bass but the store through in some pick holders. // 10

Sound: I play anything form school band to rock and it suites everything. At school I use a Peavey 300 W half stack, when I tried the bass I tried it in a lot of amps and it was best with a Ampeg half stack, which will be my next purchase. Since they are active pickups you get some active noise out of the pickups so I run it at half volume and its great. this bass suites any playing style you can try and think of. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was almost perfectly set up, a bit of buzzing but that was fied with adjusting the truss rod. I can not find anything wrong with this bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything is impecable, it will withstand the most abuse you can give it before it snaps in half, the hardware needs to be polished because it tends to tarnish easily. I had a hard time getting the straps on and I don't even bother taking them off, because I would have to skip the gym that day. The finish will last I've played this yet can't see any wear on the finish and I'd trust this anywhere. // 10

Overall Impression: This bass is a great axe and suites me so well. I've played guitar for 6 years and bass for 2 now. I don't own my own amp yet because I normally don't practice at home because I get a ton at school. I would definetly replace this if it got lost or stolen, I haven't found a bass better then this at 2500 so for 1050 this is a great axe. I can't find anything I don't like and I can only love it. I tried this up against a lot of instruments from every brand the store had, it sounds and looks better then my dads Fender Deluxe 5-string J-Bass and I tried it against a couple basses at 2000 dollars and those basses had poor craftsman ship. I wish it came with a custom case. // 10

Comments