SRX2EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX2EX1

The sound is deep, punchy, and straight-forward. It maintains a full tone from the open E string all the way to the 24th fret of the G string. My influences are blues, punk rock, metal, and old school funk, and this bass can do it all. The only thing I don't like is that the mids can get a bit nasally on it. Otherwise, it's fine. The slap tone cuts just right, and it sounds great played with a pick. The fingerstyle tone also excels. I use DR Black Beauty coated strings, and it sounds amazing with those.

I play a lot of christian and alternative music influenced by the above styles. I've been playing almosy two years and I gig regularly. I play this trough a Crate BT100 and a Fender BXR100, and it sounds solid through both. I also use a DigiTech BP200 multi effect for some modeling or fuzz. It handles distortion really well. I do wish it came set up better and that I asked Guitar Center to help with that, but I would buy it again if I lost it. The only thing I'd change is I'd add a Hipshot extender and a midrange EQ control. I'd recommend it.

This bass has withstood over a year of beating from me. It's my baby. There are still no finish flaws after my gigging and none of the hardware gave out. I added Dunlop Strap Locks, and the fit right in. This bass could probably last me a lifetime. Repair is easy.

The factory set up on my axe wasn't the greatest. The truss rod needed adjusted, because you couldn't play lower than the 5th fret without getting a buzz. It was easily fixed. The pickups were adjusted well. The only other flaw is that after about a year and a few months of owning this bass, the pickups somehow came unsoldered. I soldered them back in and it's like new. The action is great, and it's rather easy to get around the fretboard. Just be warned, the finish on the neck does stick to the hand at first, but it will wear out and feel great.

I bought this bass last year, so it's probably a 2006-2007 model, crafted in Indonesia. It's got a great range with a 24-fret playground. It's got a solid basswood body with your average maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It's got a nice, modern Ibanez style body with a sold with finish, or black if you choose. It's got an Ibanez bridge which keeps it nicely in tune. It's got a 2-band passive EQ with volume, blend, bass, and treble. The two Ibanez humbuckers, designed by EMG, churn out some deep, punchy tones.

CarouselAdam
    If you've got a decent amp, you take value into consideration, and you're not an idiot when it comes to making a good tone for yourself, I'd say it deserves at least a 9.