SRX350 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX350

The bass feels very 'solid'. And the neck is thin and fast. It suits my music style, most of the times. I play a lot of rock in several bands and this bass delivers a brutal sound. The amp I use is a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II with a Harkte 4X10" Speakercabinet. The sound is very very clean, maybe too clean for some people. I believe that GK and Hartke don't match very well. Because when I use Ampeg my bass sounds much thicker. The bass is not noisy, the preamp prevents it from being noisy. The preamp gives this bass some versatility (you can go from a Tool sound to a full rock sound) but it also causes to clip some amps very very quick. beacause of the high output. It's not versatile enough for me though. It's not suited for jazz or anything. It's very well suited to use in combination with effects, probably due to the humbuckers. Slapping sucks on this.

I'm a pretty allround bassist (or I try to be), but in my bands I play mainly rock with a touch of metal. The bass is very wel suited for this. Especially for the price. I've been playing for two years now, so I'm still a beginner. I'm very content with this bass but if it were stolen I wouldn't buy the same bass. I love the playability, the preamp, the neck, the looks. I hate it being not as versatile as I would like it to be, but for that price I can't complain. The finish is also something I hate it is just to thick, it makes the bass sounds a little muffled.

This bass is made for playing Live. The hardware could last a nuclear attack, it is very wel constructed. For example the bridge makes it possible to replace a string, very very quickly. wich is nice when you are a speed-thrash-metal-pick-player (which I'm not, I don't break strings often). Strapbuttons could be better. If you jump around a lot, then I would recommend to replace the standard strapbuttons by straplocks. The finish doesn't wear of easily, which is good. Downside is that it is really really thick, which is bad for the tone.

Overall set up was great, probably the reason why I bought this instrument in the first place. I changed the height of the pickups, as a experiment, it gave me a little more punch. There are no real flaws, except maybe for the fact that a ultra low action is not possible.

froggyman
    The Bridge on these is incredible! I have been playing one since Christmas and only had to tune it once(to change in drop-C)