SRX500 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX500

It sounds great for everything I play, rap, rock, punk, gospel.. normally I play it thru a Peavey 115TNT Bass Amp. It doesn't have that annoying buzz or hum I've found common with cheaper basses, one of the things I really like about it is how much I can tweak the sound on the bass and not have to go to the amp for every little change. It has one master volume knob, a pan knob (changes which pickup your using), then a two band EQ, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut. Between the 4 knobs you can get a BIG variety of sounds. The sound is always nice and crisp even when ya crank the bass and treble and turn the volume up all the way.

I've been playing about 5 years now, I also own a crapped out Washburn. I love this bass, action is perfect and it sounds great, prolly the thing I like the most is how flexible the sound is, with the 2 band EQ and pan knob you can really come up with alot of diff sounds. when i went to buy this I was actually going to purchase a Fender American Jazz, but after I played the Ibanez I foudn that the sound, action, and feel of the Ibanez were all superior to the Fender American and the price tag alot nicer :) If I ever lost this one I'd definetly get another just the same.

I've played it live several times without a backup, and I've let friends play it live too, it stands up to the challenge and I have complete faith in it, never played with a backup and I don't feel like I'll ever have too. its rock solid too, I haven't had it very long, just acouple months, but its already taken a fair share of abuse and stood up too it and kept on rockin. I haven't had any problems with the strap buttons or my strap coming off which is a good thing, I thought I was going to have to replace the buttons with a some strap locks but the factory buttons hold good so I don't think I'm going to do that now. The finish is great, there weren't any chips or flaws when I bought it and it still looks great, all the hardware is black chrome and I jus luv that, looks great.

The action was perfect when I picked it up off the rack at the music shop, didn't have to adjust the action, pickups or bridge, but hey everybody likes their bass setup a little differently, this one just happened to be how I like it. ok now the bad news, couple things I dun like about it, i've got a dead note on the 7th fret G string, pluck it rings for a second and just dies really fast. this has got to do with a bad fret I believe, its not that big a deal though could prolly get it fixed by playin with the bridge some or takin it to the shop and let them play with the fret. It seems like they didn't put a whole lot of care into the finish on the back of the neck, there's several places where I can feel little bumps and dips in the finish on hte back of the neck, it's not really a big deal hasn't affected my playing at all, its just a lil annoying. If I wanted too I could prolly take some steel wool to the spots and refinish them, not worth the trouble to me tho.

I recently (bout 2 months ago) bought a new Ibanez SRX500, it has 24 medium frets, basswood body with a flamed maple top (black finish on mine, its beautiful :)) has 2 passive humbucking pickups (has an active EQ tho), Accu-Cast b 200 bridge, no accesories tho, all thats included in the price is the bass.