SRX500 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX500

Great sounding bass. Suprisingly Bright. I've played it through mostly a Fender Rumble100 1X15 combo amp and through my current rig which consists of an Ampeg SVT, classic 300W head, Ampeg 4X10 B-Series cab, and an Alesis 360 rackmount compressor. It is a very dynamic bass. Even after messing with the pickups for god knows how long the E and A strings were considerably louder than the D and G strings but it's nothing a decent compressor can't fix. I've managed to get a pretty decent slap tone out of it but I have to really crank the mids up on my amp to do so. It's also got a pretty powerful low end to it. I usually play with the pan knob slightly favoring the bridge pickup with the bass boosted about 1/8 of a turn and the treble boosted just a little more than the bass. Definately a great rockers bass but if you know what you're doing you can use it for pretty much anything.

I've been playing for about 4 and a half years now. I got this bass after only a year of playing and I really had no idea what I was doing. I really just liked the way it looked. Now that I know what I'm doing I realize that I really was lucky to have bought not only a great looking but very nice sounding bass. It's super fast to play and makes a great upgrade from a cheap-o starter bass. Definately worth the money if you can find one for sale.

This bass can definately take some punishment. I've had it fall over, drop, bang into walls and it has never shown sign of weakness. I've used it at quite a few gigs without even really considering using a backup. I just ordered an Ash body Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass which is in a whole other league compared to this bass but I am definately going to hang on to it and use it as a backup when my J-bass gets here.

Factory set-up was definately sub-par. When I got it it needed major truss rod adjustments and intonation adjustments. The action was set up a little high but that was an easy fix. The pickups were a little low but again, easy fix. Really fast playing bass once I managed to fix it up a bit. The only woodwork flaws I've noticed are on the backside of the neck. Nothing major though, just a few little tiny dips in the finish.

I got this back in Feb 2005. Korean made basswood body with flame maple top. 24 medium frets w/rosewood fretboard. 2 Passive humbucking pickups with active electronics, 2 band EQ, volume, pan. The controls do everything they're supposed to do but it would be nice to have had a 3 band EQ to control the mids. The tuners, control knobs, and bridge all look like hell now from being coated in sweat but I guess that could be expected.