SRX505 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX505

You can basically get any style out of this bass you want. It has a great variety of tones. From a bright classic rock ton to a deep metal tone. I'm using just a clean sound on a Fender amp, no effects at the moment (I'm saving up for a Boss GT-6B). I give the sound a ten out of ten, the variety of tones impresses me every day and the bass sounds just like it did on day 1.

I mainly play Classic Rock and other genres of rock. This is a great match. I have been playing for three years and own another Ibanez bass. I would rebuy this bass in a heartbeat if it were stolen, it's that good. I love the different variety of tones it offers, however I don't like how if you adjust the knobs a lot over time they will get loose. My favorite feature would have to be the EQ, it's amazing. I compared this to the Peavy Millenium BXP five string and thought this one sounded a lot better. I only wish it had my innitials in a really cool font!

The bass could handle any sort of playing. The hardware is great, the two band EQ makes the bass sound wonderful everyday and the battery lasted pretty long (about 8 months). The strap buttons are very solid, like someone welded them to the bass. No need for a backup bass with this beast around, even though I alternate from my five string and four string pretty often. The finish is pretty durable, after a few scratches and scrapes it seems as though the entire body made of the finish, it seems as if it will never wear off. The only downers are the rattly B string and the loose knobs, both of which can be fixed pretty easily.

The guitar was set up expertly! Everything came flawless. The tuners are very sturdy, the neck is aligned perfectly with the body, there are no loose frets, the bridge is sturdy, the pickups are massive and are very tightly bolted on. The only problem I'm having is loose and tight knobs which aren't that big of a deal because they fix so easily with an Alan Wrench.

This was made in the factory as soon as I ordered it, or that's at least what Ibanez tells me. It was made in Indonesia (strange place for manufacturing). The fretboard has 24 frets. The neck is made of three piece maple, with a rosewood fingerboard containing pearl dot inlays. It has a laminated body with a transparant black finish with a flamed maple top. It is a bolt on neck body. The bridge is the Accu-Cast B205. The pickups are two active PFR alnicos. There is a volume knob, a pickup selector knob, a bass control knob and a treble control knob. It has two band EQ which greatlty enhances the sound (when my battery drains I really can tell). It comes equiped with Elixer strings which sound good but are really slippery after a while and the plastic layer peels off pretty quick which is kinda annoying. The style of the head is pretty unique. It makes it look like you are playing a lefty upside down with two tuners on the top (B and E)and three on the bottom (A and D and G). The B string packs a good punch but the string seems too loose and is very rattly. That can easily be fixed by adjusting the neck using an alan wrench.

msmith27071
    I have 50 years of playing bass. I have played almost every brand of bass. Most of them were Fenders. I recently got an SRX590 and an SRX650. These are versatile basses. It's a fallacy to assume they are only good for metal. I play Classic Rock, Country and I play in a Beatle cover band. I play with flat wound strings, I prefer Thomastik. You can get a mellow round sound with a little back off on the bass EQ and a slight blend toward the neck pickup. I play with my fingers. Maybe metal guys like a pick. Anyway you can get most any sound out of these I Love the necks on both. You can even play softly with acoustic guitars. I don't know why people think they are for metal only. That is BS.