SRX595 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: SRX595

Purchased from: Rimmers Music

The style of music that I play can range from Thrash metal, all the way down to Jazz. With the two pickups I can say that this range can be achieved. The bridge pickup gives a thick midrange tone whilst the other pickup gives a thick fat tone. I usually use direct input for my sound; but when I don't I use a Fender Rumble Amplifier. A Boss ME:50 Guitar Effects pedal and a Zoom multi effects. The sound can be impressive but the sound can be too phatt at times. It can be very noisy at times and gives the growling sound, but however it seems impossible to remove it. There is also a poor control over Midrange; it's a shame.

I play the genres of music, Numetal, thrash metal; then lighter genres such as Jazz and light rock. The match is good, but not perfect. I have played bass since the summer of June 2006 and I play with a Boss ME50 pedal. I like the feel of the bass, but not love it as the frets are way too loose. I hate how the sound can be all phatt sometimes. There is also a lack of midrange control which is a shame. So; Unless you play Korn all the time and don't want midrange... Go for it.

I would play this bass Live, but only for certain songs. The bass has that rough tone which you cannot really get rid off unless you make the EQ nothing but high bass. The hardware seems like it will last, but I don't trust the frets with anything. I wouldn't take the bass without backup though, the frets feel like they will come out at any minute.

The bass was set up well but it does have a major fret flaw. The 1st fret is literally impossible to make any type of note on, due to intensive fret buzzing. The other frets seem fine, and it's a shame the 1st one had to blow it. Asides from that, the rest of the guitar is flawless. The pickups are placed fine and perfect, the bridge is placed perfectly and so is everything else.

Active Bass. Neck: 3pc SRX5 neck NeckType: SRX5 Body: Basswood body/ Flamed Maple top Frets: Medium frets Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood Inlay: Off-Set Pearl Dot Bridge: Accu-cast B205 bridge NeckPU: PFR-5N neck pu MiddlePU: PFR-5B bridge pu EQ: EQB-IIDX 2-band eq

Haanz
    Good review. Finally one that's positive without all 9's. Believable yet without seeming too damning, which is something rare on UG these days. I've got this bass in 4 string (SRX590) and I don't really have the same fret issue. They seem tight enough to me, and my first fret doesn't buzz as much as yours either, I imagine. Other than that, you nailed it. It's thick and growly and quite suited to a clanky tone. Kind of like a cheaper (currency wise as well as quality wise) alternative to a Stingray at times. Definately a noisy, clanky bass. I'd advise against unless you're looking for something with a slightly dirty, hot signal. I'm not that worried about a lack of a mid control dial because, frankly, any decent bass amp should have it's own 5-10 band mid EQ anyway. The pickups are nice but it's clear it's got a blend knob rather than two volumes because neither pickup can really stand on it's own. The bridge is too thin and honky and the neck is too colourless and bland. I think the sweet spots either right in the middle or just slightly favouring another pickup.
    Martin259
    Thanks for the comment Haanz! Griffo, please tell me what I can improve about the review. I like feedback, not unhelpful comments.
    acidgreeny
    good review but your ratings are too high. you cant give it 7's and 8's if you find the instrument has so many problems especially if you wouldn't trust it without a backup. very good honest review but the numbers are high.