JTB-2B/VS review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JTB-2B/VS

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I play mostly prog, classic rock and a bit of alternative. This bass is better suited to the last two, but it's very versitile. The part that makes it great is that one pick-up plays the treble end and the other carries the low end. So there are several tones that can be made by tweaking the volume on both of them. Also being a hollow-body, it can fake an upright fairly well and play softer styles like folk. The only flaw in this area is that because of the short neck scale, the lowest string doesn't sound as good as the other three.

This is a great bass for a good price, (At least where I got it). The shorter scale also means that if it's your first bass (it is my fisrt) there isn't too much of a strain compared to a 34'' scale neck. However, as I've progressed, having a short scale neck becomes a problem for feel and a low end tone. Still a great bass for beginners.

I haven't played this bass too much live, but it has been fine for nearly 4 hours straight in practice. The hardware is great and can go on forever, and it probably will. Still, being a hollow-body I don't think it can take quite as much of a beating as a solid-body.

The set-up on the bass wasn't bad, the action was a little low. This only became a real problem when the strins shifted a bit, and then the low E string was buzzing against some of the higher frets. That's probably the only problem I've had with this bass.

This is the Jay Turser immitation of the Hofner "Beatle-bass". However, it's built nearly as well as the real thing. - Made in Indonesia, around 2004/05 - 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, 30'' scale - maple body (I think), maple set-in neck - 2 passive humbuckers - each pick-up has a volume knob and on/off switch - foating bridge As I said at the beginning, this is a Beatle-bass replica, but in my opinion it's almost as good as a Hofner, and better than the Epiphone version. I'll admit that part of the reason I got it was at the time, I REALLY liked The Beatles.

jravagno
    I've experienced the same buzz on my strings, even after a professional setup with Hofner strings. Must be how its made.
    flutist3
    Pardon the pun, but I would say the JT and Epi are neck and neck. The only thing that really bugs me is the inbalanced weight so you get neck dive. Not a deal breaker-but annoying. I do like the more mellow sound (I had a JT) and did notice the low E was not as beefy as the Yamaha RBX I sold. Still, the Turser bass is on par with the Epi-and -I agree-feels and sounds better than the lower priced Hofner.