Nature Electric Bass review by Jixing

• Reviewer's score: 4.2 Poor
Jixing: Nature Electric Bass

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: crazysales.com.au

Like to play Jazz/Rock style of music. The given 30W amp is terrible but sort of hide the imperfection of the bass, only good for practice. Instrument is too heavy (around 7kg total!!), feels heavy on the shoulder after a while. The neck is hard to play due to its curvature, it makes the left hand shape too hard and slows the fingering. To get the best possible sound on the instrument, I bought a 100W Yamaha bass amp but unfortunately revealed the bad tones differences between each strings, and therefore bought an equaliser to compensate the effect. The amp/equaliser combo has to do all the work to get the best sound since the control knobs on the instrument are pretty useless (except volume that "seems" to work). When best configured, the instrument still sound very loud in bass tones. Even lowering the bass and increasing the treble, we get a sort of cut-off sound in the "high" frequency (I know ... It's a Bass!! But still!! It's too low!)

Why the hell I bought this! I keep myself asking the same question everyday I play this thing. Well... I bought it about 6 months ago because I wanted to learn Bass and was on short on cash at the time. Bought now a Yamaha RBX374 and DAMN! The difference was huuuuuuge! Active pickups for the win! Anyway... To everyone thinking of buying real cheap instrument to start playing forget about until you can afford a better instrument, believe me on this. If buy stuff like a Nature Bass Guitar, by Jixing, for $150, you will learn bad habbits difficult to unlearn later one. The only thing I was able to learn with this guitar, is that I was able to learn a bit more about better quality guitars and how to appreciate them.

This guitar can't withstand live playing! Not by a far shot! Too heavy and uncomfortable to play a long time. This bass is best used for cutting wood actually, or a baseball bat. Damn heavy, when I went aboard an airplane last time they told me I couldn't bring in inboard because I could use it as a weapon due to its heavy mass! At least the body and neck are strong! The strap given is crap and always jumps off the buttons due to the poor quality tissue used.

Factory set up is crap. Strings given were actually: 0.100 - 0.100 - 0.080 - 0.050. Bought Fender bass string for $45 (probably half the price if the Bass!). The Nut was too low and the strings were actually touching the first fret, and had to be raised, but raising the nut made it vibrate when playing and a loud buzzing was present. Fixed by changing it. Pickups are misaligned with the strings and the action is too high, and each pickups is not standing flat in their fits (probably the cause of the different tones with each strings, but don't have the will to fix it and I don't want to put more money on this thing!). Guitar was delivered with a few scratch on the body, no loose tuning pegs and control knobs(at least!).

Year unknown. Supposed made in China. 21 frets, Maple Wood neck. 4 Steel Strings. Strat body style (cheap imitation of a Fender Jazz Bass style). Body colour is black and the pickguard is white. Jazz Pick-up configuration. Controls are a main volume and two tones control. Pack given with Electric Guitar/Bass Tuner (brand Jixing), a soft gig bag, strap, cable, tools for saddle and bridge, Bass amp and a guitar stand.

rv_phoenix
    You're absolutely right, dear fellow, and your misadventure shows once again the cheating nature of a concept like 'beginner guitar'. There is no such thing: there are only good and bad guitars. Labelling the latter as 'beginner guitars' only drives away innocent people from learning to play, because a bad instrment definitely ruins your pleasure and your motivation. This kind of guitars don't deserve only a bad mark. We have to state one simple fact: they are unplayable. And a guitar you can't play on is not a guitar, it's just firewod. Congratulations for being so honest and recognizing that the cheap 'gem' has proven to be a pain in the ass. And for choosing such a good 'new beginning', like the RBX from Yamaha.
    thumb1
    Was really quite suprised to see this instrument reviewed. I picked one up in cashies for $80.00 last year. I was looking a jazz bass project and the bright red finish really caught by eye. Most of what has already been said is spot on. Jixing are just one of many massed produced instruments coming out of China (check out the video on their website). Like most guitars coming out of the part of world (be it Epiphone or Fender, the quality is certainly questionable)and what rv_phoenix said about there being no such thing as a beginner's guitar is so so true. But now I'm going to tip everything on it's head. I actually gigged with this thing for many months (through a big system in a big venue). I reworked the set up and tuned it to B for certain songs (eg: strung it like a five string minus the G string). The bottom end sound coming out of this thing was awesome (and that was not just my opinion). I however am quick to point out that using the upper register on this bass was out of the question because of pitch problems caused by a slight outward bow in the neck. (Yes folks, you only get what you pay for). This thing was always gonna be a project and a back up bass but I've gotta say I love this thing, so much that I'm now spending some $$$ upgrading the PUPs and putting a decent neck on it. The comment in the earlier review about it's weight is very true because this thing is made out of solid hardwood (that puts to shame some of the well known brands coming out China with laminated ply bodies) I've been playing for nearly 40 years and use mostly USA Fender gear but I'm really enjoying playing and working on this project. Mr Jixing gets my vote.