Nature Electric Bass Review

review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Nature Electric Bass Reviewed by: Fegoras, on january 24, 2011

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: crazysales.com.au

Features: Year unknown. Supposed made in China. 21 frets, Maple Wood neck. 4 Steel Strings. Strat body style (cheap imitation of a Fender Jazz Bass style). Body colour is black and the pickguard is white. Jazz Pick-up configuration. Controls are a main volume and two tones control. Pack given with Electric Guitar/Bass Tuner (brand Jixing), a soft gig bag, strap, cable, tools for saddle and bridge, Bass amp and a guitar stand. // 6

Sound: Like to play Jazz/Rock style of music. The given 30W amp is terrible but sort of hide the imperfection of the bass, only good for practice. Instrument is too heavy (around 7kg total!!), feels heavy on the shoulder after a while. The neck is hard to play due to its curvature, it makes the left hand shape too hard and slows the fingering. To get the best possible sound on the instrument, I bought a 100W Yamaha bass amp but unfortunately revealed the bad tones differences between each strings, and therefore bought an equaliser to compensate the effect. The amp/equaliser combo has to do all the work to get the best sound since the control knobs on the instrument are pretty useless (except volume that "seems" to work). When best configured, the instrument still sound very loud in bass tones. Even lowering the bass and increasing the treble, we get a sort of cut-off sound in the "high" frequency (I know ... It's a Bass!! But still!! It's too low!) // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up is crap. Strings given were actually: 0.100 - 0.100 - 0.080 - 0.050. Bought Fender bass string for $45 (probably half the price if the Bass!). The Nut was too low and the strings were actually touching the first fret, and had to be raised, but raising the nut made it vibrate when playing and a loud buzzing was present. Fixed by changing it. Pickups are misaligned with the strings and the action is too high, and each pickups is not standing flat in their fits (probably the cause of the different tones with each strings, but don't have the will to fix it and I don't want to put more money on this thing!). Guitar was delivered with a few scratch on the body, no loose tuning pegs and control knobs(at least!). // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can't withstand live playing! Not by a far shot! Too heavy and uncomfortable to play a long time. This bass is best used for cutting wood actually, or a baseball bat. Damn heavy, when I went aboard an airplane last time they told me I couldn't bring in inboard because I could use it as a weapon due to its heavy mass! At least the body and neck are strong! The strap given is crap and always jumps off the buttons due to the poor quality tissue used. // 4

Overall Impression: Why the hell I bought this! I keep myself asking the same question everyday I play this thing. Well... I bought it about 6 months ago because I wanted to learn Bass and was on short on cash at the time. Bought now a Yamaha RBX374 and DAMN! The difference was huuuuuuge! Active pickups for the win! Anyway... To everyone thinking of buying real cheap instrument to start playing forget about until you can afford a better instrument, believe me on this. If buy stuff like a Nature Bass Guitar, by Jixing, for $150, you will learn bad habbits difficult to unlearn later one. The only thing I was able to learn with this guitar, is that I was able to learn a bit more about better quality guitars and how to appreciate them. // 4

Comments