TB75 review by Laguna Ocean

Laguna Ocean: TB75

The TB-75 is capable of producing many unique sounds, although not all of them are easily attainable. Straight out of the box the TB-75 produces a biting, clear tone often found in metal. With minimal work it swings to the other extreme of boomy, muddy, bass, with very little high tone to speak of. It takes a lot of work to find the middle ground of tone that is clear but punchy, rich but distinct. It is in dialing in tone that the bass's biggest inadequacy shows through. This lies in the high end control of the 3 band EQ. It adjusts only the high, cutting range of the high end, giving the bass brightness but not necessarily more warmth or presence. This lack of a solid high end control is accentuated by a volume increase on the D and G strings.

What the Ocean lacks in sound control on the high end, it more than compensates for with excellent playability and style. A unique phenomenon that I have witnessed since them time this bass arrived, is that of people coming up to me after shows and asking me if they can touch or look at my bass. This thing is really just that gorgeous. Of course what better to go along with a smooth looking bass than equally smooth playing? This bass makes playing all over the neck not only possible but smooth and fluent. The ability to play at the 24th fret with ones thumb still on the back of the bass is unprecedented. Overall this solid beauty is a great value for the price, a must for working musicians.

Because of the thru-neck design and maple body, this bass is solid as a rock. The immediate concerns of durability lie with the tuners and the control knobs. The control knobs are made of plastic (which is fine) with rubber ringed accents. I've had the bass for a little over a month and already these rubber pieces are starting to crack and fall off. While this doesn't effect the playability of the bass in the least, I'm wondering how it will effect the look and feel of the knobs once they have completely falling off. But, this is a small concern relative to the instability of the tuners. If one was to swap out the factory tuners, this bass would once again be able to compete with basses twice it's price in realms of durability.

This has been the first bass that I have played where the action has been to low. When first taking the bass out of the box I had some real problems with buzz when playing high registers on the D and G strings, however, this problem is easily remedied. As far as overall playability, this bass plays smoother and sports easier access to the high registers than basses twice it's price.

The Ocean TB-75 is a culmination of boutique style, workmanship and electronics at a workingman's price point. The first notable feature of this bass comes from a stylistic aspect in the form of the body constructed of hard rock maple. The maple is highlighted in sharp contrast to the rosewood fret board. However, from a stylistic view point, my favorite feature of this bass lies in the 5 piece maple thru-neck with wenge stringers. I was even impressed with the stylistic choice behind the nut and bridge. For the nut they chose a Satin-Silver Anolized Brass piece, and found a 5 saddle fully adjustable bridge to match. Both of these things bring in a stark, modern look to an otherwise natural, earthy looking piece. Moving past a stylistic angle, this bass is equally equipped with high end electronics. It sports two active Bartolini MK-1 soapbar pickups with a three band EQ. On flipping the bass over I was disappointed to find hipshot licensed tuners. While hipshot is a popular brand, I find their tuners to be rather unstable, and this bass was no exception to the rule. I found that in between uses that the tuning would drop as much as a quarter-step.

Taygunov
    Quantonyne
    My friend picked this up at guitar center and I got to play it a little bit. It's a pretty solid bass and is beautiful to look at. It played like silk, it was really smooth.
    jean_genie
    Taygunov wrote: i havent played it but is this not just a copy of the prestige btb ibanez series?
    The Ibanez guitars and basses often use weird, nonstandard hardware. Does the Laguna use easily replaced parts?
    Haunted_Shell
    It basically is. Go with the Ibanez prestige line instead of laguna. Trust me, I've played both and owned both and the Ibanez sound is much more defined
    Claypool5667
    jean_genie
    Claypool5667 wrote: This bass was hands down the best bass I played while looking for a new bass. And I tried a lot. I tried Ernie Ball Musicman basses, the Fender Precision Jazz, the Schecter Stiletto, Ibanez, Warwick, and tons more. Something seems wrong with that. Stingrays, P-basses and J-basses are popular for a reason, their amazing! Im sure this bass is also very good, but how could you play any of the basses listed here and think the Laguna one is the top pick?
    Maybe he doesn't like passive pickups? Personally I strongly prefer the sound of the P/J passive pups, but I wouldn't mind an active bass. Fenders weigh a ton!
    lyonk55
    Most of those basses are passive, which might not be his thing. Also, they almost certainly have a different neck profile and the Fenders and Stingrays have bolt on necks, not neck through. He also might prefer the look of the Laguna over he others. You can almost never say one is better than the other (when compairing similarly priced instruments) because there are so many things that are personal prefernce.
    TheOrangeRift
    Lavatain wrote: why would u want a bass? u cant get heard
    Actually you do get heard. A bass provides great backing and atmosphere for a band's songs.
    guylee
    i've played this bass several times and i really like it. In fact, if i had the money, i would probably buy one
    beastieman
    TheOrangeRift wrote: Lavatain wrote: why would u want a bass? u cant get heard
    Are you ****in serious dude? you dont SAY that on a review for a bass! idiot. But yeah, i'd much prefer an ibanez than a laguana, but that is just me. Or a stingray, depending on the kinda sound i'm lookin for at the time.
    CC09
    Lavatain wrote: "why would u want a bass? u cant get heard" Cliff Burton. Nuff said
    Marshall Lead12
    I don't know much about basses, my dad just bought this (I play guitar) and this this thing is pretty sick man. I don't reccomend it for stock price (that opinion comes from probably not knowing enough about the overall/complete quality of the bass) but we got it eBay'd used. Pretty dope, might have a little buzz on the bottom string, but hey we got it used, could be a side effect of that. But it's a nice bass. 5/5