Variax 700 Bass review by Line 6

Line 6: Variax 700 Bass

Extremely versatile bass. Tones modelled on vintage/modern classic basses - 24 in total including some pretty useless synth sounds and a double bass that doesn't track too well. No-one can realistically expect any bass apart from the originals to sound exactly like they do but this bass gets close, and most of the sounds are useable and very good, versatility is the keyword here. The active tone controls and 'pickup blender are really useful. The ability to save eq settings on the modelled sounds is also really handy. I use it with the supplied mains powered DI box. It eats batteries. I used it once in a competatave talent show at school, and I was the one who one it because everyone was astonished about all the sounds it made. From the Rickenbacker to the Fender P-Bass sounds.

I have played/owned most basses of note. I can honestly say that this is one well put together bass which offers a fairly radical innovation for bass players. I bought this after extensively trying it out at the local music emporium, and my dad and me was impressed enough to buy it new, or newish. It'll never beat any of the bass it models on a side by side comparison, but where else can you get this tonal variety onboard combined with great playability? Try one at least, it might the thing you've been looking for.

Seems really well made and I wouldn't have any hesitation gigging with it. I haven't had it long enough to assess how the hardware etc. Will hold up.

I've read some comments that this bass looks cheap. I'd disagree. the fit and finish is really good, and the materials used, alder body, maple neck, are high quality. The neck I have found to be more playable than many Jazz Basses I've used. I use this as a reference point because the neck is very J Bass, it's slim and fast and comfortable to play. I can achieve a low action with little fret buzz as long as I don't dig too hard, but hey relax and let the piezo pickups built into the bridge saddles do the work. The factory setup was fine, no problems with it, but of course everyone has their own preferences so it was easy to adjust to my liking.

Made 2004 I think. It is like about 50 efects pedals and in a flick of about 3 switches, you get a toatally diffrernt sound. Lamianated top. Ash neck. Made in America. I got this bass just before I done this review.

ironmaidenrulez
    there are no pickups because you kinda have a knob (teehee) which you can turn and it changes the sound from were the pickups are, like if you put the pickups near the neck, it sounds very muted, its nice though
    wbk666
    it does have pick ups, they are the piezo kind and are in the bridge. the clever bit is you can "virtually" move the pickups to any position between the neck and bridge. as for looking like a country singers bass mr glue maybe you could expand on your theory? LOL looks pretty much like a p-bass in body shape and is also available in black A cost effective way of owning some classic basses. Yes its not as good as the basses it pretends to be BUT its a very good and versatile guitar in its own right. If you havent tried one then do so. you may like what you find, I did.
    powerj
    I am too new with this guitar, but I can tell you that it is a pretty versatile bass. I like it!
    DamoPlaysBass
    yeah they're piezoelectric, means they sense direct vibrations from the strings with little pick ups in the bridge, unlike magnetic poles which sense all the vibrations in the air near them
    RooHmania
    FYI I have done about 30 gigs with mine and I've never had a problem. Not the nicest bass to play but it sounds fantastic. And no noise, ever.