MM2 review by OLP

OLP: MM2

Sounds rather nice actually. You can get a massive range of sounds out of it due to the 3 knobs on it, give them a twiddle for 10 minutes, see what you get. Lots of low-end. Very good for rock, funk etc. I do quite a bit of slap bass, and it's very well suited for that. I run it through a PA at practise and just use it as is at home. Even without an amp, there's quite a bit of sustain. As I said, it's worth messing with the settings, see what you can get out of it.

Sound wise, it's my perfect bass. It's a damn sight better than what I was playing (Ibanez GAXB150). Don't touch Ibanez Gio. Please. I wish it came to me set up properley. That annoyed me. If it was stolen, I'd beat whoever nicked it, then save up for an Ibanez BTB. Cos they're right beast! I love the sound and the body shape, it's lovely! And it aint top heavy so it sits on your shoulder nicely. I hate the tacky tuners. End of. I just love the tonal variety too. Just perfect. I think I'll put a thumb rest on it. that's one thing every bass should have, a decent thumb rest. I have to put my thumb on the pickup, right near the bridge and it sounds shit! Sort it! I wish I had scoured the market a bit more, but for the time being, I'm happy with this. A reasonable bass for little money. I chose it because I have a friend Who has this, and he gigs a lot. So I went on it and got his verdict and it sounded alright. So I sold my old 'Nez and got this. I'm happy for the time being.

I think it'll do rather well used live. Well, I'm hoping anyway, I don't have a backup. I reckon the finish will last for a while, seems a bit thin though. Weedy strap buttons, they need changing. As do the tuners. A nice set of Grovers should do the trick. But it will need setting up here and there.

It came to me in tune, yes, but poorly set-up. The action was low, but the were several frets buzzing like bitches. It was horrid. Sorted that (just about anyway) and it's acceptable now. Pickup needed lowering. I think it was just a matter of 'put it together and throw it out of the factory'. The tuning keys are terrible. Loose, cheap, but hold tuning. They rattle when you shake the bass itself. I am not happy with them. The nut was poorly fitted too. The routing looks too big for it. Really small strap buttons, will change them later. Same goes for the tuners. OLP, again, sort it!

It's a 2006 Chinese made (bit dubious about that) with 21 frets all running through a basswood body, into one massive humbucker at the bridge. Lovely neck, not too chunky, with a rather wide fretboard, it's nice. No acoustic chambers, just hard wood. Run-of-the-mill strat shape, but works beautifully. Maple neck, roosewood fretboard. Black hardware, black finish, grey perloid pickguard. It's quite suave. 2 volume, one tone, range of sounds! Passive, but if it was active it'd sound amazing. Sort it out OLP! Cheap-ass clover tuners that are ok, I suppose. Bit loose and tacky.