Grind 4 BXP NTB review by Peavey

Peavey: Grind 4 BXP NTB

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I dabble in funk, metal, reggae, and rock. I play together with a metal band, but we also jam out to lots of other stuff. I usually keep all of the knobs turned up, but I sometimes adjust it for a bassier or treblier sound. I play through a Fender Rumble 30 sometimes using overdrive. I'd like to get a limiter pedal for more consistent output. Even unplugged, the strings resonate clearly and the notes sustain well. This makes hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot easier. Using both pickups with tone turned up, the bass generates warm full sounding notes. It plays clearly all along the fretboard.

The first bass I ever played on (February 2011) was a secondhand Ibanez GSR 200. That was an inferior instrument. The grind is highly playable and stylish and I have been enjoying it since I purchased it about a month ago. If it were lost, a new grind would be among my choices to replace it. The body and neck have a perfect feel to them. I also like the way that the acrylic inlays are offset so that they are visible from the front of the fretboard as well as the side of the neck.

Everything on this bass is sturdy, from the electronics, to the construction, to the bridge, nut, tuners, and strings. The wood may get scratched up if you handle it badly, but it should withstand regular use pretty easily.

I got a little bit of fret-buzz concentrated at the 7th fret. I had a tech take care of it and it's been playing beautiful since then. Factory setup was pretty good otherwise. I also had the output jack come a little bit loose so I tightened it by hand a few times. I think that the tech may have done a proper job with a wrench as it hasn't come loose in a while.

I got this bass new in 2011. I believe it was made in China. It has a thin fast neck made of mahogany and maple (5 piece) with 24 frets. The wings of the body are seamlessly attached to the neck and made of a nice resonant mahogany. I got the natural finish which is colored nicely by the mahogany and maple parts, but this bass is also available in a shiny black color. The strings come strung through the bridge, but the bridge also allows for (rear load option). Ceramic Humbucking pickups are in the bridge and neck positions with nice plastic covers. There are two knobs for each pickup to control the volume and tone. All the hardware is black. The features are superb for the street price of this bass.

kodiakblair
    I've one of these basses,early Vietnam model with the Scooped lower horn same as the one pictured above. Probably the finest bass I own,certainly the most forgiving neck to play.Sound-wise very punchy but covers all bases.I really can't praise this Peavey enough,prefer it to my USA Foundation and that's a great bass. These sell for ridiculously low prices so buy one now before the rest of the world wakes up to them,but also buy one just because it's a top quality bass.
    trinaryoc
    I've had this bass since 2010, in black. The lacquer seems to be tough. I've had one nasty drop (never keep you bass leaning against your amp with a toddler in the room) and it came out with just a few very minor scratches. As for the balance, it's fairly balanced. I play with a low sling to the balance is important to me and this one is great. I can get just about any sound out of this beast. I play rock and metal mostly, but with the right amp/fx you can get some great sounds going. And, yes Peavey makes basses, better then they do guitars.