Grind 4 BXP NTB Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 05/10/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Peavey: Grind 4 BXP NTB
This bass was a great find for Peavey. When traveling the world, you sometimes find a small little factory that is able to manufacture an unbelievable product. This is one of those products!
 11,901
reviews (2) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Grind 4 BXP NTB Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 21, 2005

Purchased from: 5

Features: Get boutique quality at an unbelievable price! For starters you'll get an all neck-through-body design laminated from mahogany and maple with Imbuya side wings topped with a rosewood fingerboard. This combination gives the Grind Bass 4 BXP NTB resonance and sustain you won't find on any other bass in this price range. Beautifully crafted, the Grind Bass has a unique "scooped out" area in the lower wing that doubles the distance between the strings and the body making it much easier for slap style playing or high-fret access. - 34" scale - 4-string - 24 frets - Passive humbucking pickups - Mahogany neck with maple stringers - Imbuya wings - Neck-through-body design - Scalloped bottom horn - Case not included. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This where the guitar really shines. I'm one of those types of players that likes to look good when playing, I have be to physically turned on by the guitar I'm playing for it to get the best out of me, and this bass really does that, it is one sexy, good looking thing to play. The action is awesome aswell, I originally played a Vintage "first guitar style" bass and after a little thrashing the vintage needed the strings raising considerably, to get rid if that evil rattling. I've never had to do that with this bass, and I've had it two years. The only time I've even had to adjust the string saddles slighty was when I put heavy gauge strings on it to make it sound phatter and that was to be expected. I've cleaned it a few times and thats another great thing bout the guitar, 'cause it's got a raw wooden finish you don't need to get stupid priced guitar cleaner for it, you just get some line seed oil and wipe it on and its like the day you bought it again. The bass is unbelieveabley easy to play, the neck is thin and matte vanished, so very fast to play. The scalloped thorn is also great for slap pop style players, I not really into that but its great and easy to pickup in that way if I wanted it. // 10

Overall Impression: To conclude, this was the first bass I bought with some consideration, and I haven't been disappointed yet. The only slight gripe I have with is that once I broke a string in a band practise and the string saddle part of the guitar fell out of the bridge. It annoying but it only seems to happen on my D string all the others are locked in well. I love its playablity, its look, its rock feel, its deep sound and how plainly I know other bassists of simliar calibar wish they had my bass, and trust me they do want it. I've played way more expensive basses, a Warick Thumb 5 string, Spectors, USA Fender Jazz and this bass really is up there with them in terms of playability. Perhaps not professional quaility, but you pay way more than 300 pounds for that. I want a bass that feels great in my hands, sounds great, plays great and feels right in my hands and this bass does that all of those things and more. I now want a 5 string and first on my list to try out is thge 5 string version Peavey grindy, bring it on! // 8

Grind 4 BXP NTB Reviewed by: DavidEvRgreen, on may 10, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: I got this bass new in 2011. I believe it was made in China. It has a thin fast neck made of mahogany and maple (5 piece) with 24 frets. The wings of the body are seamlessly attached to the neck and made of a nice resonant mahogany. I got the natural finish which is colored nicely by the mahogany and maple parts, but this bass is also available in a shiny black color. The strings come strung through the bridge, but the bridge also allows for (rear load option). Ceramic Humbucking pickups are in the bridge and neck positions with nice plastic covers. There are two knobs for each pickup to control the volume and tone. All the hardware is black. The features are superb for the street price of this bass. // 10

Sound: I dabble in funk, metal, reggae, and rock. I play together with a metal band, but we also jam out to lots of other stuff. I usually keep all of the knobs turned up, but I sometimes adjust it for a bassier or treblier sound. I play through a Fender Rumble 30 sometimes using overdrive. I'd like to get a limiter pedal for more consistent output. Even unplugged, the strings resonate clearly and the notes sustain well. This makes hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot easier. Using both pickups with tone turned up, the bass generates warm full sounding notes. It plays clearly all along the fretboard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got a little bit of fret-buzz concentrated at the 7th fret. I had a tech take care of it and it's been playing beautiful since then. Factory setup was pretty good otherwise. I also had the output jack come a little bit loose so I tightened it by hand a few times. I think that the tech may have done a proper job with a wrench as it hasn't come loose in a while. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this bass is sturdy, from the electronics, to the construction, to the bridge, nut, tuners, and strings. The wood may get scratched up if you handle it badly, but it should withstand regular use pretty easily. // 9

Overall Impression: The first bass I ever played on (February 2011) was a secondhand Ibanez GSR 200. That was an inferior instrument. The grind is highly playable and stylish and I have been enjoying it since I purchased it about a month ago. If it were lost, a new grind would be among my choices to replace it. The body and neck have a perfect feel to them. I also like the way that the acrylic inlays are offset so that they are visible from the front of the fretboard as well as the side of the neck. // 9

Comments