Milestone 3 review by Peavey

Peavey: Milestone 3

When I first got this bass, I didn't have a clue about EQing or anything like that. Now that I know a bit about it, I can actually appreciate how good this is for a beginner bass. True, it's not up there with Warwick, MusicMan, Rickenbacker and all the other elitist brands, but for a starter bass, this is as good as it gets. For a beginner instrument, the tones you can produce are quite varied. The neck pickup is warm and the bridge has a bit more bite to it.

This bass is suitable for most styles, being a starter bass and made for the starting bassist, before they have made a choice as to which genre they would most like to play. Since getting this bass, I have aquired an Ibanez SRX305 and a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, which I both love. If it got lost or stolen, I wouldn't bother replacing it as I have two other lovely basses in my possession. Saying that, I would be pretty annoyed if got stolen. On the whole, it is a very good starter bass, and for the price I payed, a complete and utter bargain!

I have used this for various small performances, like at a motor show and my dads 40th birthday party, when I was younger and it did surprisingly well. I used it without a backup, as that was my only bass, but I would have used one if I had had one. The hardware and strap buttons seem pretty solid, but I doubt it will last forever. The finish seems a bit thin and my bass has many chips and knocks out of it.

Surprisingly, this bass was quite well set up. The previous owner (my dads friend) must have looked after this bass well. He sold me this to pay for a more expensive bass, but I haven't seen him to ask him what. When I got it, there were no marks on it, but now there's a nasty chunk out of the body above the pickguard when my dog knocked it off the stand. Other than that, it is very playable and I find that the chunk adds to it's character. The previous owner never changed any of the hardware, or even the strings! I think he had the James Jamerson outlook, but when I got it, they were as dead as a dodo, but this produced a very dull, thumping tone, which I rather liked. So I changed the grotty strings for Fender Flatwounds, which still give me the dead tone, without the horrible, grimy strings.

I got this bass very cheap, second hand when I just started out playing bass. It features a very light body and fast maple neck, completed by a rosewood fretboard and 20 very accessable frets. Mine has a very fetchin blue finish and is completed by a P Bass style pickguard (though I never use one) and two J style pickups. As a starter, I feel that I got a great deal and got my playing career off to a good start. The previous owner threw in a MAX 126 bass amp, strap, lead and gigbag.

Anjohl
    I find it funny how so many bass reviews talk about number of frets, when the average bassist doens't go above the 12th fret...