Milestone 3 review by Peavey

Peavey: Milestone 3

Purchased from: Used from friend

The Peavey Milestone III has great sound when turned down to a decent volume. But when you crank it up, it can get a lot of feedback. It can get really muddy with the tone down all of the way. I have played a decent amount of basses (trying out in the store, friends houses, etc.) and none of them have the extreme tone control that this one has. I don't really have a bass amp, but I run it into a big subwoofer speaker, which is a pretty good setup when you don't need anything fancy. When you record with it, you can get a really good sound out of it. You just don't want to record it strait into the mixer/studio because you get a lot of snapping from the pickups and strings colliding.

It fits any style of music. From jazz to rock to metal, it always sounds good. I can't really compare it to any other basses because I don't own any and only borrow others. There isn't really anything I would have asked because he let me try it out for about a week before buying it. If it were stolen/lost, I would defiantly buy this one again. Probably the best bang for your buck. The only thing I wish it had was a thumb rest but I've gotten used to it. Overall, a great buy for someone who doesn't need anything fancy and is on a budget.

I have played a good number of gigs with it and so did the friend that had borrowed it, so it is pretty reliable when playing live. I haven't really had any strap button problems either. The finish is really good, and the bass came with a pickguard so the finish is sure to not wear out that quickly. I don't really care for the pickguard, though, because I don't play with a pick. But the designers of the bass don't know that. Yes I know you could take it off and fill in the screw holes, but I'm just too lazy to do that.

I haven't encountered any big problems yet except for really loose tuning pegs. They don't turn out of hand, but compared to most basses these tuning pegs are a breeze to turn. The problem with that is that it is harder to get a perfect tuned string because they slide too much when you turn the pegs. I'm not that picky of a guy, so I would say that everything else is really good. The other problem is a couple of frets up high on the fretboard can get really buzzy. But that's just a minor problem.

It is a pretty simple guitar when it comes to features. Basically it is a cheaper version of a Fender Precision Bass. It was used from a friend but he added a gig bag, a new strap, and put brand new strings on it. The Peavey Milestone III has two single coil pickups and two volume controls. It also has one master tone control. The bass has 21 frets and what looks like to be a Wilkinson bridge. It has a Strat-style body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. With passive electronics and a solid blue finish, you can't go wrong for a price like this.

kodiakblair
    Wonderful bass. Light weight with good sounds as Live_Wire said but it's the neck on them that's the beauty. I've yet to play a better neck and I've a few, similar to a Bass Collection or an Ibanez. Get one while you can cos in years to come these will be sought after.
    Live_Wire92
    I bought one of these about 8 years ago as a starter bass, I havent bought another main bass since! The action and sound are perfect for me! The finish is good (metallic blue, lush! Main reason I bought it, back then I knew nothing, it was the coolest looking, cheapest at the time, lightweight and sounded good) The jack went within a year, easy fix, then the jack plate fell out at a gig (epic fail) it was duck taped in for a few months until I put 1 1/2" chip board screws in, that did the trick! Strap buttons went at year 3, once again, 3" chipboard screws and no more nails (strong wood glue) did the trick! Electrics went year 4, put in a pot and cap from a Les Paul I had lying around, man that sounds nice! Also, I added a master volume control, the separate pick up volumes can be used to effect the tone so a master was handy, it also acts as another tone control! Overall I'd say this bass is bloody great, unreliable if you dont look after it but the same goes for most things, I now have a back up bass in case it dies on me but in its current state there's nothing to suggest it will paff.