Millennium 5 AC BXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Millennium 5 AC BXP

I like the sound of this bass. It's quite strange because the mini humbuckers actually sound a lot like single coils, you get a very transparent sound with this bass, but thanks to the active electronics, you can make the sound really thick, with a lot of mids and earth shaking lows, even with my crappy Peavey Basic 112, it sounds amazing if you play some chords. Unforturnately, it doesn't seem to handle a lot of distortion in the same way but it dosen't matter 'cos the cleans are so good. The sound is quite soft, it doesn't have a hard-hitting quality that you might want if you play slap bass a lot or if you just like that sound.

I play most types of modern rock+metal music ('80s onwards) and I would say this bass was a good match for that, I personally think that this bass would work with most styles of music apart from if you want a really hard sound but I think that maybe a compressor would help. If this bass got somehow stolen I would probably get another bass but that's just 'cause, as I've said before, I feel life's too short to get the same bass twice! The reason I got this bass was 'cause I saw it in a shop and it looked bloody beautiful in purple with black hardware, and I was in this goth band at the time so I thought it would help their image. I wish it had all 5 knobs!

This bass seems very strong, the finish is still flawless (and this is an ex-display model) The strap buttons are very big and in all the time I've had it, it's never come off, so it seems pretty good. This bass is very dependable, I think it would easily withstand Live playing.

Now here's the thing, I think this was prolly the fault of the shop but one of the knobs was missing that was pretty annoying. But everything else seemed fine, I needed tro adjust the intonation and the action a bit, but this was easy thanks to the bridge, which is like 5 mini bridges, each for 1 string, like on a lot of cutom basses.

Peavey Millennium bass guitars are well regarded as the essential working player's bass for their solid low end, playability and craftsmanshipin fact, pros such as John Campbell (Lamb of God), Josh Sattler (doubleDRIVE) and Marco Mendoza (Ted Nugent, Whitesnake) are avid Millennium players. Each Millennium AC BXP bass features an agathis body, hard rock maple neck with rosewood fretboard and an attractive quilted maple cap. An active electronic system, driven by Peavey Cirrus neck and bridge active pickups, provides an extra boost in volume and tone with more expressive sound control. These 21-fret, 34 inch scale basses also feature volume, pickup blend, bass, mid and treble controls, as well as the new Peavey headstock design.

Deliriumbassist
    I have this bass in Tiger Eye, and it's a very, very good instrument for the cost. I get quite a good slap tone out of mine, though, but I do mostly play metal and progressive stuff on this. Never had a problem running it through distortion either. As said, a very good bass.
    Bass Cat
    yeah distortion on mine is quite good too. the only damage i have to mine is from when i accidentally dropped it on some concrete, and its only a little crack. a very durable instrument
    Deliriumbassist
    Well, I find actives help to shape my tone better, to suit it to my style. Others don't like it because it can be fiddly... and it costs more:p: Ah well, each to their own
    eddiehimself
    eddiehimself
    I got an SWR SS180 and goliath 410 half stack now and this bass sounds bloody great through it. Did i actually say it didn't have a hard enough sound!? oh how wrong i was!!!
    Lemurs4mangos
    eddiehimself wrote: seek_&_destroy wrote: do you really think it's worth the extra dough for actives? pros/cons of actives on this bass? Definetly get the active, it sounds amazing, you get a load of bass and if u play it clean thru a tube amp, you get a really nice drive sound aswell. If ur lookin at buying this bass, one thing u should note is that the pic on here doesn't do it justice. The top looks so much nicer in real life. Also i like it more then 7.8 but it's just the fact that it didn't come with all 5 knobs brought it down a lil bit. After hearing it again, i don't think the dist. is so bad. But the best bit is definetly the chords, bloody brilliant m8.
    The active pickups... About how long does the battery power on the last? Playing time wise. And they're not in use when not plugged into the amp correct?