Millennium 5 BXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Millennium 5 BXP

I play rock and a few of its sub-genres. It has everything from a great mellow tone to it, to a good modern tone. It all really depends on how you configure the knobs. For example, with just the neck pickup on and the tone rolled off, it's got a real smooth feel to it and you can really feel the low b on it. With just the bridge pickup on and the tone all the way up, it's got great attack. I play worship music and a little more laid-back stuff and this bass is great for that. I also play a little bit of metal and this bass is also great for that. Pretty much, this bass is a good all-around bass. It's not noisy at all, considering that it has the "humbucking" pups in it. I don't think they really are "humbucking" despite what the manufacturer says, but they've got no hum or any unwanted noise, so I'm not complaining. When you put it through the Danelectro Fab Chorus pedal and roll off the tone, it sounds amazing. You may exclaim. Well, yeah, but it still sounds great. I don't have a bass amp at the moment, and use my Ventura Vintage 30 practice guitar amp to, well, practice with. You may exclaim, but don't worry, I know what I'm doing and it seems to work fine. It hasn't blown up yet, so that's a good sign. I have, however, played it at my church, through my youthgroup's system. Plugged into a direct box, which goes to our sweet new board, which then goes to our mains and our 15" sub (shudder of excitement). 15" sub+this bass=pure joy.

I've been playing guitar for about two or three years now, and bass for just a little while, but I'm a decent player and I definitely know my stuff about instruments. I feel dumb for giving everything a 10, but it's really how I feel about this bass. I've played a few and this bass is definitely in my top 3 favorites, the only others beating it being a Warwick 5-string Thumb bass and an Ibanez 6-string. I would beat the bastard Who stole this from me with his own arms, if only for the reason that he stole my joy from me when he stole an instrument of mine. Though I might look into that Ibanez 6-er a little bit more if for some reason this bass ceased to be in my posession.

Will this guitar withstand Live playing? Hells yes. Nothing on this bass feels like it's going to crap out on me any any time in the near future. Strap buttons were indeed solid, but I put Dunlop Straploks on it anyway. Considering how easy it got a scratch on it today, one would think that the finish is crap, but I've banged it harder on other stuff. For the most part, good finish.

Stock, this bass rocks. I don't know how it managed to stay in such good shape in that shop for so long, but this bass came perfect. Everything is perfect, not a scratch on it until today. No flaws my human eyes could see. Pickups, intonation, action, even tuning head resistance, perfect. No complaints.

I love this bass. I first played it in my local guitar shop and I liked it well enough. I needed a bass, so I got this one for Christmas and since then I've fallen in love with it. I intend to explain why in the rest of this review. All the other reviews say that theirs were built in 2004 or something, so I suppose that's when mine was built as well, but it may have been 2006, I'm not sure. Made in Indonesia, headstock says so. It also has a strange symbol telling me not to throw this bass in the trash, curious. 21 Jumbo (I think) frets, with pearloid fret markers all the way up to the 21st fret (no skimping on that). Thin "D" shaped neck, which is really the only thing that bugs me about this bass. Up in the higher registers, it seems a little uncomfortable if I place my hand a certain way, but unless you like your bass super-low, it shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and it's 34" scale. The basswood (which is surprisingly pronounced like the bass fish rather than "base") body is made of three pieces, one core piece with a wing on either side. Mine has a beautiful tiger's eye stain on the quilted maple top with a high-gloss finish. The body is quite comfortably contoured and shaped somewhat originally. Unfinished Hard Rock Maple neck that glides oh-so smoothly and perfectly for my taste. Beautiful black hardware all around. Schaller-style split-post tuners, string retaining-bar, and black plastic nut. It has a string-through body with a pretty, black bridge, with individual intonation and string-height adjustment. Two passive J-style pickups that are pretty hot. Three knobs: two volume, one tone. There's a volume for each pickup and they wired it so it acts as sort of a blender, so you can have them both all the way up, just one on, or have one up all the way and another partially, all without affecting output. Nice. Oh, and there's a nifty little tone knob that smooths the tone out when rolled off. Stock strings seem fairly good and last a while, considering how long the thing has been sitting in that shop.

blowabs
    I am gonna buy the Tigers Eye in April/May when GC gets them in! I tried it and it works. I had someone much better than me try it and he said, "Wow, you dont have to spend tons of $$$$ to get a good 5 string anymore." He's right!