Zodiac BXP review by Peavey

Peavey: Zodiac BXP

This bass has a BIG monster sound, simple as that! Used with my Trace Elliot GP7 this bass has a lot of different tones available, from deep lows to punchy middles and aggressive highs. In fact the high end on this bass has to be heard to be believed - raspy and almost Geddy lee like - fantastic for such a cheap bass! It can easily mimic a Precision and with the combination of the two pickups so much more! Live this bass is like a force of nature exploding - it is the perfect gigging bass in my book. However, care must be taken to tame its aggression at times - as I play a very wide variety of material the sound can be overpowering on some of the gentler stuff! For some reason Peavey basses have a very low profile here in the UK - I picked it up Brand New for a ridiculously cheap price after originally setting out to buy a Fender P bass. The crazy thing is this bass wipes the floor with Mexican fenders and is a match for US models. I love its straight forward good tone - plug it and play it night after night.

I have been playing for over 25 yrs, I own two handmade Prometeus Carl Thompson tribute basses - one of which being the famous solid Zebrawood fretless featured on the Prometeus website. All of my three basses go through my tarce Elliot GP7. I have owned Alembic, Wal, Vigier, Musicman, Jaydee, various Fenders, two Rickenbacker basses amongst many others so feel suitably qualified to know what I am talking about when it comes to basses. If this bass was stolen or lost I would definitely buy another - for the money it is quite superb! I love the combination of the solid, simple feel, the excellent playability and the sheer ballsy sound it gives! I compared this bass to various Fenders and was pleasntly surprised when it beat them all hands down. Make no mistake this bass literally steam rolls over Mex Fenders and does everything (maybe more?) than US versions at a fraction of the price. Don't believe me? Go and try one out and be prepared to be blown away. For the money I paid this bass is arguably the best buy of my long career.

This bass is very solid and well built - very much like a P bass. It is a workhorse! everything is solid, from the large strap buttons to the tuning pegs and bridge - this beast wont fail you. Simplicity is the key to the design, its a tried and trusted style of bass. I would say that this is the kind of bass that you could gig all night every night and it just wont let you down. Its passive so no electrics to pack in half way through a gig. In fact for almost 25 years I was an ardent user of active basses but I have come full circle now and really prefer passive basses...the sound is just "there" if you know what I mean?? The truss rod has not needed adjusting as of yet as the neck is very stable.

This bass arrived with the perfect set up for me. The action is very low and the neck is extremely comfortable and playable, this bass has a high quality feel! The split pickup needed a little adjusting, everything else however is as it should be. The build quality is rock solid and the finish spot on! In fact for a bass made in China this bass is a phenomenal! The neck/fingerboard has a Vintage finish applied that gives the Maple an old well used look - I love that attention to detail. To have the same combination of Maple/Maple/Tobacco sunburst (my favourite)on a Fender you would have to pay out a substantial ammount of cash on a premium US model.

Made in 2008 in China this bass is a four string, 21 jumbo fret slim "jazz" clone maple neck/maple fingerboard, Alder bodied instrument. Features a combination of two passive P/J pickups, straight forward Volume/volume/tone controls. Finish is a beautiful gloss tobacco sunburst. Large "Tele" style black plastic pickguard. Chrome open gear tuners, chrome control plate, chrome knobs and heavy duty "Badass" style chrome bridge. Kind of looks like a hybrid of a Precision/Tele bass. Arrived with Truss adjustment Tool, small bridge adjustment allen key and a cheap quality lead.

VicVanity
    its nice to hear an objective review on lower priced equipment. espeically, for those of us on a tight budget. peavey has a wonderful history for making quality low priced gear. and some have turned out to be classics for example the t-15 . this is a nice looking bass and i am now considering hooking my son up with one
    TheTortured
    Greg Christian from Testament uses the higher end model of this bass, and his tone is ****ing sick
    TheMcDay
    Awesome review man. I'm gonna try one of these out and if I like it then I'm gonna but it.