4001 review by Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker: 4001

I put the traditional Roto-sound round wounds on it now to get the famous Ric "growl" on the low E string. People critize the Ric for non-versatility, but I've not found that not to be true. Unfortunately, the single coils can be noisy. When I sometimes play stuff like jazz or things, I had to be careful, the hum can get annoying.

As I said my dad has been playing almost 25 years and has played in many a band, including Dennis Stratton's. This Bass guitar is very good. If this bass ever got broke or stolen, I would get another. I love how easy it plays, it has no deceit it it. It does exactly what you ask it to. There is nothing I hate about it. My favorite feature is the neck and the action.

The only odd thing was that the pickups faded into nothingness over the last 5-10 years. I recently replaced them with stock Rickenbackers and everything is OK. The magnets had gone weak. I think the stock pickups were a little pricy though.

The action on the Ric is the best on any bass I have every played. This has been pretty well borne out by everyone who has ever played it. I have had trouble with rust on the screws holding down the hardware, but the bass is thirty years old, I don't know if that is common or not.

This Rickenbacker 001 has a laminated top, and a mahogany neck. The finish is transaparent. Passive electronics. There are 2 controls, I got the bass control and a volume control. It has 20 or 21 frets. It is the most stable instrument I have ever seen. You can literally tune it, put it in the case, carry it around, come back in a couple of weeks and it is still in tune. Nothing fazes it.

RIC4003
    Rickenbacker have to be some of the best bass guitars evermade and its cool how your bass has been around for 25 years i guess its just an example of how sturdy they are
    s/ash
    I have one of these i got it when i was about 13 now i'm 42, you do the math.
    rocking bassist
    Rebus wrote: Whats The Difference Between This And The 4003.
    the 4003 is the newer model. thats about it really.
    Rebus
    rocking bassist wrote: Rebus wrote: Whats The Difference Between This And The 4003. the 4003 is the newer model. thats about it really.
    Ok Thanks.
    Jumpy McHop
    I also think the 4001 was a warmer sound and the 4003 is more punchy but I'm not sure
    svend
    pie_man_25 wrote: thoraxe wrote: Geddy Lee yep.
    hell yes!!!