Les Pu Bass Review

1,503
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Les Pu Bass Reviewed by: vekou, on june 14, 2013

Purchased from: RJ Guitar Center

Features: - 2012 Model made in the Philippines - Construction: Set neck - Scale Length: 864 - Neck: Mahogany - Fingerboard: Mahogany - Machine Head: 2 x 2 - Nut with: 43 - Radius: 280 - Frets: 23 1/2 - Body: Semi-hollow - Bridge: Ipil - Pick ups: Jazz - Controls: 1 Volume, 1 Tone - Accessories: Includes guitar case, no strap buttons The one I purchased was a sunburst-colored one. An entry-level bass guitar that can be used for live and practice. It is also lightweight and can be used for practicing at night without plugging it in to an amplifier. // 9

Sound: I've used it on a lot of music styles from rock to ballad, and it does its job. I never expected anything great out of it, actually I was expecting the worst out of this cheap guitar, surprisingly, it sounded good! The pickup used sounded a bit on the bright side, and the volume was good. I was expecting the volume to be low, but it was louder than my P-Bass. Since it was a hollow bass guitar, you can opt to use it without plugging it in to an amplifier. Although it would be inappropriate to use it for jamming with friends without an amp, it sounds loud enough when practicing at night. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It uses a fixed bridge, so the action cannot be adjusted, but it was a low-action one. Though the one that I purchased was probably adjusted too low which produces a buzzing sound when I play the fifth fret, it was fine when I used an iron file to reduce the height on the 6th fret. There were no strap buttons included in the guitar, so I had to install the buttons myself. But when I installed the strap, I noticed that the neck of the guitar was heavier than the body, so when I play it standing up, the headstock always tilts downwards when I'm not holding it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After a year of using it, the input jack of the guitar is detached from the body. The wood where the screw of the input jack is now "loose threaded" so I had to buy washers and matching nuts and bolts to attach the jack back to the guitar. Though the body seems to be "brittle", the rest of the guitar seems durable and well-made. I have used it for live playing, and it works wonders, just handle it properly and I know it will last for decades. // 7

Overall Impression: For a cheap bass guitar, this one owns it. A hollow bass guitar matched with a capable alnico pickups, it produces a bright interesting sound. The fretboard is easy on the fingers with it's low action, it makes a good entry-level bass guitar. If it were lost or stolen, I probably would buy it again since it's cheap. It is good as a practice guitar and a guitar for my friends to borrow, so I won't have to worry about them not returning it back to me. Overall, it exceeds my expectations about this cheap locally-made guitar. // 8

Comments