RG4003 review by Rockinbetter

Rockinbetter: RG4003

It had a really nice sound on both pick-ups, and you can get the McCartney sound and also the Lemmy heavy rock sound too. I'm using a Line 6 bass amp and without using effects I can get a really good range of sounds out this bass. Between both pick-ups you get a very full and rich sound.

I play rock, blues, and pop. I think this could be used for all types even Jazz if you put flats on instead of rounds. Been playing since the 70s and this is my 5th bass. I have a Yamaha, Ephiphone, Le Marquis N.Y. Beatle bass and a Harper 5 string fretless. If it was stolen I would get another as its really a very good bass for the money.

It's a heavy bass about 10lbs but does feel very solid and like it could stand a lot of abuse. It has a really well made Ric type bridge and I think its better than the Ric one. Could I use it without a back up, yes, this think will last. Finish looks good only time will tell how it will last.

The bass arrived very well set up. The neck on this type of bass had very little bow and they strings can be set very low without string/fret rattle. Think this is set lower than any of my other 4 basses. Rich tone music did a great gob setting this up for me and was just how I wanted it, the neck feel really good and there is bags of sustain due to the thru-neck. There was noting I could falt on this bass.

It's a 2011 Made in Indonesia. It has a thru-neck and is maple and has 22 frets. It has a laminated maple top and bottom and had a transparent finish. The neck has Double Truss Rod 570 mm Head Control. And has the typle Ric 4003 body and headstock. Body Binding: Chequer Style. It had a Ric type bridge without the damp. And is passive. It has a toaster type neck pick-up and a large horseshoe bridge pick-up. It has two volumes and two tone controls with a pick-up switch. Tuners are Open Gear Chrome L2, R2. Came well packed in two padded boxes. And had been set up before posting out and was only a little out of tune when it arrived. No real adjustments needed.

NIGEL110
    I was looking for a Rickenbacker bass ,as I like the look , but found that it was too expensive and the reviews weren't favourable , claiming the workmanship was very poor and shoddy . I will give this one a go instead ...