Fatboy II Review

manufacturer: Rocktile date: 05/27/2015 category: Bass Guitars
Rocktile: Fatboy II
The Fatboy II is a cheap Chinese made J-Bass copy.
 5.8
 4.6
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Fatboy II Reviewed by: Unossofrus, on may 27, 2015

Purchased from: www.amazon.co.uk

Features: The Fatboy II is a cheap Chinese made J-Bass copy. It has the standard pick-up arrangement for a J-Bass (volume control for two pick-ups and a tone control). It has 21 frets on a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. I have no idea what the body is made of but its probably something really cheap. The body is finished in plain black gloss with a white 3 ply scratch plate and chrome effect metal hardware. It came with no extras or a gig bag but you can't expect everything when paying such a low price and getting free delivery too! It's about as basic as basses get. // 3

Sound: After owning an acoustic bass for 2 years, I decided it was time to upgrade to an electric (also so I can practice silently without driving my dad insane). Compared to that acoustic (Fortissimo AB-01, see my other review of that) it has a much better dynamic range of sounds and tones. However compared to other J-Basses it seems to lack something, cant figure out what, but it probably has something to do with the badly fitted and cheap pick-ups or the strings. For what I need it for the sound is adequate. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar arrived, literally EVERYTHING was incorrectly set up, other than the perfectly straight neck. The action was so low that the almost strings touched the frets, the intonation was wrong and the pick-ups were set to the lowest possible setting. Luckily, I learnt how to set up guitars from my uncle so this wasn't much of a problem. The frets were sanded but not well enough. After about 20 minutes of playing for the first time, I developed lots of tiny scratches across the side of my first finger from sliding up and down the neck. I've never had this problem before with any bass. The scratch plate, as it turns out, isn't a perfect match for a standard J-Bass. When I recently swapped it for a Fender scratch plate the holes were misaligned and I had to drill new ones and file new spaces for the shoddy pick-ups. The only thing I can compliment this guitar for is the very well crafted body and neck. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Despite its many drawbacks, this bass is an absolute beast to play. I could literally "drop the bass" and not worry about damage. Everything about it is built to last. I would use it at a gig without a backup (but for any large event I would definitely buy a better one). The finish is very thick gloss, looks plain, but lasts. The tuning pegs seem pretty strong and don't slip. I cant comment on the strap buttons, I don't have a strap for the bass yet, but they are the same design as the ones on my 12 string acoustic so they should work very well. // 8

Overall Impression: This has to be the most average bass that ever existed and for an average musician like me, it's just about ideal. I bought the bass to upgrade to my own spec over time, that's why I bought it cheap. The jazz bass appeals to me because of the body shape and pick-up arrangement. I've had the bass for about 3 months and I'm missing my old acoustic, but with a bit of extra money and a bit more time, I could transform this bass into something better. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't waste my money on another. I'd rather have a battered, second hand Fender. At least that would sound good. // 5

Comments