LX200BF review by Rogue

• Reviewer's score: 4.6 Poor
Rogue: LX200BF

Stock, this bass is pretty worthless. For a fretless, the sound wasn't much different than a normal fretted. I tried to play some fretless material, i.e. Pearl Jam, some Pink Floyd, whatever Jaco I could muster, but it all sounded worse than on a fretted Fender J bass. I attributed it all to the pickups, which just didn't give the fretless bass justice. I don't even know what they were, but I stick some DiMarzio DP126 pickups from the same website on there and it sounded 100 times better, much louder, more tonal, and clearer. As for variety, it all sounds the same, but thats why you buy it.

I was going to use this bass to play in my school Jazz band but I ended up scratching that idea when I got it. I own a P-Bass, which is the most reliable instrument known to man; in my opinion it is the epitome of all electric basses. All in all, I bought the bass for 129$ and ended up putting about 100$ of work into it, not counting replacing the factory strings. I would not buy another one, ever, unless it was for someone else Who would have to deal with it. I bought it soley for the price, which was a very bad decision. I got exactly what I paid for. I wish someone would have warned me.

This guitar would not have withstood diddly squat without being spruced up. The hardware was the crappiest I have yet to experience on any guitar. I would not have used it in a gig before I got new pickups and modified the guitar.

Straight out of the box, it was a nightmare. I'm surprised the neck didn't snap in the box from having the action almost as high as possible. The intunation was a nightmare, I won't even go there. The guitar was pretty polished and scratch free, though, I have to give them that. I would rather have had it play nice and look bad, though. The tuning pegs were a little loose, other minor annoying things. Also, the finish smudges very easily and fingerprints are quite visible, making this bass seem constantly filthy and cheap.

The body is hardtop, with your choice of finish. The one I bought was "pearl black," but in reality had a very pansy sparkly finish. The neck is apparently rosewood but without frets it feels very weird, much like plastic. It has a split as well as single coil pickup, both of which are very weak and should be replaced if you intend to use this as a serious instrument. There is a tone and volume knob for each pickup, but the pickups are so weak it doesn't matter which you use. Came with no accessories, but in time I have picked up some Fender Flats as well as DiMarzio DP126 pickups, which make a hell of a difference.

t3hrav3n
    where did you buy this guitar? and what does the headstock look like? if i like the headstock i think i'll buy this and jack the neck and some of the electronics off it and use it for the bass i'm building.
    djsteiner
    i have a rogue lx100b bass and it has a very odd looking "v" headstock, and im pretty sure the 200's are the same. its sort of a /\ shape / \ ( )