LX200BF review by Rogue

Rogue: LX200BF

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I bought this bass when I was in high school at the persuasion of my jazz band teacher. I played on my Genz Benz combo and the school's Ampeg SVT and the bass sounded great on both. You can get many different sounds out of this bass. I would typically boost the mids and use the fretless sound to cut through the band very well. For being a brand that few people recommend, and for being under $100, I absolutely love this bass and I still own it.

Like I said, I used this bass mainly when I was in jazz band. But I have used it a couple times to record parts of songs. You just can't beat the sound of a fretless bass. I have owned many other basses, but for the price, I would definitely recommend this one. If it were lost when I was in high school, I would definitely buy another one. Since I don't play jazz much anymore, I don't know if I would replace it today. I have no complaints about this bass, maybe an on-board EQ? That the only upgrade I would make.

The guitar is very reliable, and the hardware is very durable. The strap buttons are very reliable from the factory but were replaced with straplocks. I have used this bass many times without a backup with absolutely no problems. The finish is just as good today as when I bought it about 6 years ago. For the price, this bass has lasted at least 5 years longer than I thought it would when I bought it!

The guitar was perfect from the factory, with the exception of the black mark mentioned earlier. The action is really nice and the fretboard is nice and smooth. However, the strings mark up the fretboard quite a bit, so you have to clean it when you change strings. Since this is my first and only fretless bass, I'm not sure if this is typical. The tuners are arranged in 2+2 fashion.

I've owned this bass for a little over 6 years now and was my first fretless bass. I got it in the black finish super cheap as a b-stock from Musicians Friend. The only flaw was a permanent black mark on the top of the neck (by where the fret marker should be at the 3rd fret)... which was fine with me because I will be the only one to see it. The fretted version has 24-frets. The neck is made from maple, with a roseboard fretboard. It features passive P- and J-style pickup configuration, with 2 volumes and 2 tones.

jacobm3412
    Agh i'm thinking of buying this bass but having one review say it's awesome and another that says it sucks balls just makes me more confused...