LX205B review by Rogue

Rogue: LX205B

This bass is extremely versatile, especially for a 5 string. If you're into comparison, I have played both Dean and Fender 5's in the past, and this was by far better than a Dean and comperable to a Squier Jazz 5. The pickups on this thing, even though they are Rogue, are strong, resillient, and clear. I bought the Rogue fretless 4 a year ago, and the pickups were so terrible I had to replace them. I was doubtful about the pickups that would come stock on this bass, but I have to say they sound better than the DiMarzios I bought. I play mainly blues/jazz fusion on my own time, and this bass has just the smooth deep sound that I love. I have used it to play prog and heavier rock from Dream Theater, Perfect Circle, Coheed, to Children Of Bodom, Cradle, etc. This bass will not dissapoint you.

First, I am extremely pleased at the quality of this bass for the price. I do not judge based on price alone, but I figured there was some reason that the bass was below 150$. Apparently Rogue has taken it upon itself to provide quality instruments for musicians on a budget. This bass plays like a monster, it is the fastest bass neck I've played, especially considering it has an extra string. I play it through a GK backline 600 head and a custom 115 cab, and it sounds funkalicious. The Head can't really handle the low Bs and Cs without distorting, but I don't fault the bass. I would replace this bass with an identical one if I were to lose it, not out of attachment but out of practicality. The only problem I have with it is that the bridge is poorly constructed and annnoying to adjust. My advice to you is: if you want to delve into the world of 5 strings, save yourself the 150 dollars it is to the next bass in this price range and get one of these. It will amaze you. In price versus playability, this bass ranks near the top.

This guitar is extremely lightweight, and sits neck heavy. I expect the hardware to last for a reasonable amount of time. The strap buttons are solid, the tuners are tight, the finish is a little easy to smudge but hard to dent. it is so durable that I would play it without a backup at a gig.

The bass came set up perfectly from the "factory," I adjusted the action and pickups to suit my personal preferences. I was shocked at the state of this as compared to the state of the Rogue LX200BF that I had recently ordered, as this 5 string came in perfectly playable condition. This difference has led me to believe that the products are shipped from different locations, some of which skimp on their setups.

This bass is the real deal. This Rogue product can hold its own in the world of 5 strings. 24 easily accessable frets, traditional P & J sytle pickups with seperate volume/tone controls, rosewood fingerboard, unfinished neck, decent tuners. The extended neck keeps the B from getting floppy, but the bridge is weakly constructed. Surprisingly, the neck is not much thicker than a standard 4 string bass. This keeps the strings comfortably close and provides for extremely fast runs.