LX400 Pro review by Rogue

Rogue: LX400 Pro

I am running this bass through an acoustic guitar amp and the sound I get out of the active pickups is still breathtaking. I can get anything from a smooth deep bass sound out of it to the edgy growl for rock. It is a very versatile bass. Harmonics sound great on this bass. It does not hum at all when using the single coil pickup which nice. The volume knob is a push/pull, so you can go from active to passive just in case your battery fails in the middle of a gig. Overall, great sounding.

This was my first bass, although I have played guitar for quite a few years, and wanted to try out the bass. I've played Fenders, Warwicks, and everything in between. This bass is right up there with the rest of 'em. I would have paid up to 3 times as much for a bass like this. It was a friggin steal at Musician's Friend. If it was stolen from me, I would replace it with another one in a heartbeat. Do yourself a favor and go buy this beauty.

This bass is built like a tank. I've already whacked the headstock pretty hard into the wall a few times already and there's not a scratch on it. It didn't even go out of tune. The strap buttons are very sturdy which is a plus. You can definitely depend on this bass for a gig.

The action was a tad low when I received it, but it was easily fixable with the included wrench. The neck is perfectly straight The intonation was way off on the A string, but I fixed it and it is spot on now. The pickups, however, were not adjusted properly. They were kind of loose and were at weird angles but, again, it wasn't hard to fix. There are no flaws in the finish, it looks great. I opened up the cavity in the back for the electronics, and everything was put together nicely.

I know what you're thinking. How good can a cheap $180 Rogue bass be? Well, I invite you to disregard those thoughts, because this one's WAY different. Ok, so, it's Korean made, 24 frets on an Indian Rosewood fretboard with abalone position markers, 6-bolt maple neck, basswood body, quilted sunburst finish, active/passive electronics (push/pull volume, treble, bass, pickup knob). It has one single coil pickup and one MM style humbucker. It has very sturdy tuners and a hunk of a bridge that can be strung either through the body or through the bridge. Incredible features for the price.

whats in a name
    I own the same bass and its a piece of shit. With musicians friend its kinda hit or miss on the quality of their products. The electronics in mine are horrible and the detail work in its craftsmanship is like an ape put it together. I replaced all the wiring and two knobs and it still on occasion gives me problems.
    :Revenga:
    zacky gates
    to whats in a name: r u sure you're talking about this bass? i know, most other rogues are crap but this one's not. to :Revenga: : the pics online don't do it justice...it looks a lot better in person.
    MESAexplorer
    :Revenga: wrote: Ugly ugly ugly bass. Very very ugly. PLus, when I played it it sounded like a cat's shit whipping the cat.
    Ugly? It looks like just about every other standard bass. They play pretty good with some adjustments to the action. very good deal for about $200
    wolfrock780
    This Bass is an amazing bass and it fits the price . If your looking for a powerful sounding bass for only $200 this is the way you should go. With the active pickups its a steal and is very well built. I have had it for over 2 years and do not have any problems with it. The Bassbucker in it really gives off a awesome Sting Ray sound.
    Timago
    I bought one of these a couple of years ago, for my daughter. I usually play one of a couple of high-end Peavey 5-strings (Cirrus and USA Millennium Deluxe). Last night, I was doing some serious reading (i.e., notes on printed paper), and I wanted to see if it was any easier on a 34"-scale bass... so I got the Rogue LX400 out. I was totally impressed! I was able to play it more easily than the 35"-scale five strings. The tone was EXCELLENT. I'm seriously considering playing it at the upcoming professional gig. It is a very attractive bass. The setup is perfect. The only minor negative comment is a slight hiss when not playing... the sort you might get from a single coil pickup... which might be exactly what I heard. I didn't worry about it, as it's not audible when playing. HIGHLY recommended for a $200 bass guitar.