LX405 Pro review by Rogue

Rogue: LX405 Pro

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I bought this bass when I joined a rock band 6 months ago, I have since started another band and we are covering a lot of punk. This bass fits well in either genre. I'm not a big fan of bass effects, but I've used this bass with my Genz Benz ML 210 and my friend's Ampeg SVT. Sounds great through both. The EQ is great on this bass and you can get very punchy mids, booming lows, and great highs by just adjusting the knobs. The only complaint I have about the sound, is the popping noise that you get when you use the pull-out volume knob to change between active and passive. I guess it's not something you should be doing a lot of during a set, but it'll scare you the first couple of times. Based on reviews I've read elsewhere, this is a common problem with these basses. A very minimal problem in my opinion.

Perfect bass for rock and punk, but I don't see any reason, based on the versatility of this bass, that you wouldn't be able to use it for any genre under the sun. If something were to happen to this bass, I would definitely buy another, especially at this price. The only thing I would change would be to make the pull-out volume knob a little more noiseless.

I've yet to use this bass for anything but practice, but the hardware seem durable enough to stand up to gigging full time. Replaced the strap buttons with straplocks, but they were fine from the factory. I would definitely use this without a backup, especially since you don't have to worry about your battery dying, just flip it to passive and keep right on playing.

The action came setup very nice from the factory. No flaws in the finish whatsoever... and the red quilted maple finish looks great. This bass also comes with a graphite nut. The only flaw, as a mentioned above, was with the pull-out volume knob making a popping noise when you go back and forth from passive and active. There are many different finish options for this bass, and it's also available in 4 and 6-string versions.

Just bought this bass about 6 months ago. It has 24 frets, basswood body, with a quilted maple top. I got the red finish and I absolutely love the color. It has a single coil pickup as well as a humbucking pickup. The knobs control the volume, blend, bass boost/cut, and treble boost/cut. My favorite thing about this bass is the fact that the active system can be bypassed by using the pull-out volume knob. This comes in real handy when your battery dies during a set. Tuners on the 5-string are arrange 3 on top, 2 on bottom.

wolfrock780
    These are great basses and for the price you cant beat it . The perfect bass if you want the fell and power of a 5-string but don't have much money. The sound is amazing and the feel is great to. I have this bass and it has not given me any problems. Perfect for Rock or Metal.
    postmortemspasm
    theworldchanger wrote: You have no idea what you're talking about... Please don't review instruments ever again. In your life. Your ignorance and epidermis are showing.
    Do you own this bass? No? so don't judge it.
    dasginger13
    I own this bass and I have for about 2 years and it still sounds great no problems at all, besides the volume knob falling off.
    drumguy55
    Excellent review. I'm looking for an inexpensive 5 string to see if I like playing one and this review helped alot.
    Orion61
    I have had this Bass for 4 years. I am a Fender Man and have been gigging and recording for 37 years. I still find the sound and build quality to be outstanding. Being Old School I prefer a gloss neck so I 600 wet sanded the neck and shot it with Nitro Cellulose Laquer 10 coats and hand rubbed it down. You cannot beat it for the money! If you don't agree, you either havent been playing long. or have tin ears and Baseball Mitts for hands. My Skills have put me into the IRRMA Iowa Rock & Roll HOF and I have worked with many big name Stars.
    tsharpton
    I just purchased the LX 400 pro 4 string used of coarse the old style. they do have the series III now but it is a little different. I will let you know how I like it when I get it.
    theworldchanger