SX100B review by Rogue

Rogue: SX100B

Purchased from: pawn shop

Because it is reminiscent of a Vintage sounding Fender Precision the bass, it works perfectly in any rock setting, keeping a nice punchy low end without really getting mixed up or bogged down by the guitar players. It's split pickup is kind of thin sounding with a clean tone, a nice overdriven or distorted sound will really give it the strength it needs. With my model, I found it had a very good tone for hard rock or punk but not so much for metal, and it also had problems with down tuning; it could only go down one whole step before sounding rather blubbery.

I play in 4 bands, an alternative rock band, a black metal band, a thrash metal band and a psychobilly band. And I use this for all of them except the doom metal band. The basses pickup sounds much better with a distorted or overdriven tone. I ran my bass through a Boss ODB overdrive pedal into an Ibanez soundwave bass amp, which is my main rig through all of my bands except the black metal band. Overall, for a cheap bass I got from a pawn shop, it really did impress me enough.

I have used this bass for playing live shows and it defintitely can last, it has the durability of an old Fender for sure. I've had this for almost 3 years and the hardware still shines, and no faults in the neck, straplocks, tuners, bridge, or pickups have occurred.

This bass really reminded me of an old Fender Precision I used to have, the pickup wires were set properly, the neck was straight the fretboard had no flaws (until I attacked it with a can of paint) and none of the screws in the neck or bridge were out of place.

A slightly flat C shape 34" scale maple neck, with a 24 fret rosewood fingerboard. Body was made of alder with a metallic red sparkle paint job. The body screams '60s P-Bass without the pickguard. it has a simple volume and tone knob for the stock split style pickup.

jediclampette
    I build elect guitars and this is my goto bass. I also have a collectible Japanese jazz bass from the reorganized fender company and a $3500 Fender Custom Shop '57. This bass plays as nice or nicer and the tone is fantastic. Tone is really a product of technique and this particular bass has incredible mojo for me. i do not understand why it is so good, but it is. Not making this up, for looks it stinks for playing I take it over my custom shop anyday which is also a pronominal bass. I am afraid to upgrade anything and lose what I have, true story