Corsair review by Samick

Samick: Corsair

I've been learning for a year now, and mostly playing stuff like Metallica and Iron Maiden. Naturally it suits Maiden quite well, but not so much for Metallica. The tone is fine - quite adjustable, but it just doesn't have that punch. But it still gives the beefy sound of a precision, and the bright sound of a jazz, and you can mix them, so that's pretty nice. I'm playing with a Peavey MAX158 combo amp and no effects, and I think it sounds fine, but I have nothing spectacular to compare that to.

Of course when I bought this I didn't know anything about bass, and I didn't know what I would be playing so. Looking back I probably would have bought something with soapbar pickups, cause I just think their easier to play with and sound better for my style of music. Not to say that this is a bad instrument. It's my only bass, and I still think it's great for beginners and those on a tight budget. I have been thinking about upgrading for a while, and if this got stolen, I would thank the guy who stole it for pushing me to finally get a new one. However if I wasn't planning on upgrading any time soon, I'd probably get a different one just because I'm not in to P basses that much. I do like how it has the P and the J - most lower end P basses don't have that, and it's a very nice feature. But I wish it had some kind of thumbrest or something (a lot of beginner basses do).

While I have never played a live gig, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't shine. Everything seems pretty solid, not too likely to break, and I have banged it around a few times. The finish has looked the same (pretty) since I bought it and never wore off. All it has on it now some miniscule scratches from general wear and tear.

This thing seemed to be set up perfectly. Never changed the action, and never had any fret buzz, nothing seemed damaged, no loose knobs, etc. the only problem I had since I bought it was that the cover for the cable jack came off, and the jack basically slid under the piickguard (if you can picture that), but it was fixed very quickly.

Samick Corsair CR 1 3: I got this over a year ago as my first bass. I'm pretty sure it's a 2004 model, no idea where it was maid. It's basically a short scale P Bass w/ a J pickup at the bridge.

Mr.Glue
    Price paid:300 Purchased:Mo's Fullerton Music When I first wanted to start to play an instrument I was thinking really hard about what I wanted to play so I asked my friends who just so happened to play guitar and drums but they didn't have a BASS PLAYER so I told them that I wanted to play the bass and they stared at me like u are what were looking for!!! I went to the local music store went into the bass guitar part of the store and only one bass stood out and it was a Samick (or the nicest looking one) I looked at the price tag and my jaw dropped. I thought to myself I reeeeaaallly like this bass so put the bass on layaway and I saved my money for about 4 months. When I finally paid off the bass I was like holy crap I now have a instrument. I came home pluged it in and started ROCKING THE HELL OUT OF MY ROOM (playing like shit)my mom comes in like I just bought a freaking car with no licence, then just walks out saying what just happened here. I now have been playing for 5 months now and I have been pulled over by a big tour bus and was asked buy some band called bloody bashers to show them a piece of what I can do, I wasn't really paying attention to the band I was looking at the UNBEALIEVIBLE HOT GIRLS WITH THE NICEST ASS and the BIGGEST BOOBS just walking around (and I think two of the HOTTEST ones there were CHECKING ME OUT and I couldn't stand up because they would have seen my BONER ). I showed them how I can play and they gave me a phone # to call them. They are now in London or somewhere over there. Ok well all I have to say about this bass is that its the coolest thing that has happened to me in my life. I hope I become famous and get some chicks like that but with DOUBLE D's ROCK ON!!!!!
    bt99
    Ya it was first bass and ive come farther away from that now but i still use it because i got it put in B,E,A,D so i just tune it up to drop c and im all set.